Granby Newbie - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Granby Newbie

I'm going to be spending a lot of time near Granby in the next 10 years and am interested in getting started ice fishing there. I have a few questions as to what I would need. 1) Are those sleds with the the pop up tops that weigh about 100 lbs (with probably another 100 lbs of gear including an auger) fairly easy to pull out on the lake or do I need a snowmobile to make that work? (I'm 62) 2) How thick does the ice get in winter? 3) Is the fishing mostly for Lake Trout?

Thanks in advance
bergwsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergwsu View Post
I'm going to be spending a lot of time near Granby in the next 10 years and am interested in getting started ice fishing there. I have a few questions as to what I would need. 1) Are those sleds with the the pop up tops that weigh about 100 lbs (with probably another 100 lbs of gear including an auger) fairly easy to pull out on the lake or do I need a snowmobile to make that work? (I'm 62) 2) How thick does the ice get in winter? 3) Is the fishing mostly for Lake Trout?

Thanks in advance
1) I think you answered your own question. No they are not easy to pull by hand, specifically if there is a lot of snow on the ground. It is very helpful to have a snowmobile or something with a motor to pull it for you. You can still make it work without a snowmobile, but you'll definitely break a sweat.

2) Ice verys per year. Usually by the end of March the ice is about 20" thinck.

3) The most targeted fish in granby is the lake trout, but the lake also has kokanee, rainbow trout and brown trout.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, that's helpful. The snowmobile part really adds to the complications but I suspected that was true.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

You don't necessarily need a flip over shack though. You can buy a sled and a popup hub shack it will make you much more mobile without having to purchase a snowmobile.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'll look into that setup. If I pull a sled on top of someone's previous snowmobile tracks to avoid plowing through snow, is that a reasonable idea to make it work?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I pulled a clam one man flip over through a foot of fresh snow a few weeks back. It was 3/4 mile each way. Way out was not too bad because the prospect of fish, but the way back was pretty miserable. I won't do that again any time soon. If theres more than 6 or so inches on top of the ice, I'm fishing within 1/4 mile of where I access the water. Also I am 28, not 62.

The other sled I use to pull my hub style shelter is a lot lighter. I'd recommend that if you think you'll be dragging long distances. The Flip over style are really nice though, if you want to use a shelter but also move a lot. Have not fished Granby but I assume it gets a lot of wind. Hub style shelters can definitely stand up to wind when properly anchored, but they are pretty hard to set up by yourself if its super windy.

I know this doesn't give a definitive answer, but hopefully it at least gives you some personal experience to think from.

Last edited by bradfish06; 01-25-2017 at 09:59 AM.
bradfish06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm close in age and still pull by hand. this limits your range but still very fishable. Atv r good until deep snow. Following tracks help. I find closer areas known to catch fish. Most are friendly but a bit personel.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

All are really helpful answers, I really don't want to get the snowmobile/ATV/trailer and deal with maintaining it/storage and all that. So I thought I need some advice before I take the plunge. I'm perfectly fine with not getting too far off the beaten tracks.

Last edited by bergwsu; 01-25-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Weight is obviously the issue, I thought a power auger was a necessity. But if I'm not drilling more than a few holes per trip, is a hand auger reasonable to consider? Or would that be a big mistake? I'm not bringing this up trying to save money, just wondering if reducing weight is more important.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Go with a power drill conversion power auger. around 12 lbs.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.