The Strike Lite has redeemed itself!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Strike Lite has redeemed itself!!!

Finally got it right and the Strike Lite is working great.

Long story, so far. Bought 'er in 2005 when they were fairly new - saved a bunch when we bought it on pro deal days at work (BPS). Took it to Tarryall, brand new, to try it out, and just couldn't get the darn thing to work under load - would sputter and cut out. Thought it might have been an altitude/fuel mix issue.

Hubby spent about 3 hrs on the phone, the last hour and a half with the engineer from Komatsu in Japan (he called us), who had designed the powerhead. They ended up sending us new jets, and after sending the powerhead to Central Motive Power to get it re-jetted, we thought we'd do well.

Took it to Cherry Creek - it did ok, but you had to baby it. Still wasn't quite right. It stayed in the garage for several more trips. Having about given up, Randy finally sent the powerhead back to Strikemaster to get their factory view on it.

Strikemaster called us back the day they received it. "Oh, we're so sorry," they said. "You got a defective powerhead. We're going to send you a brand new one that works."

WELL, that explained it, then.

We got the new powerhead about a week later. Fired it up, but as it was mid-summer, and we don't have a dirt blade for it, nor a garden we can dig up (town home), we just set it down and hoped for the best. We had no idea how well it was going to work. The folks at Strikemaster put the high-altitude jet in there and we expected it to be a little grumpy at Denver altitude.

Funny how we're bad about change - we have a larger drill kit on the Lazer Mag (which is now 14 years old and still running great). Bigger holes can bring up bigger fish, right? Well, after not fishing Elevenmile at all last year, we finally decided we were going to go and see how it was - ice is still thick and there are fish in there... finding them for us is a whole 'nother story (!).

The first day we hit the 'Mile, we drilled hole #1 just fine. Hole number two was a problem.

We hit a rock on the bottom of hole #2. Dulled the blades up something awful. Took more than 10 minutes to drill the 2 other holes we finally could drill, ugh!

Went to Gander and picked up the last set of 10" blades in town. Got them home, set to change them out on the blade kit, and, well, hello.... our supposed 10" blade kit is in actuality a 9".

AAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHH! Feeling very much like Charlie Brown with the kite now firmly wrapped in the tree, you see what I mean.

So, we decided that we were going to take both augers, Strike Lite and Lazer Mag, with the 8" metal blade kit for the Mag and the 8" synthetic blade for the Lite. The synthetic blade kit can be used with any of the other Strikemaster power heads, but the blade unit itself is pretty expensive, so most people don't just buy the synthetic to have around as a 'spare'. We got a few extra cap screws and a nifty ratchet driver at Home Depot, and made our way to Elevenmile.

We thought we'd give it a go before we considered selling it, so after we parked the car, Randy pulled out the powerhead, primed it, gave it a few pulls to get the compression right, and then turned the power on and started it up. Started on the second pull. Took a while to get it going, but it stayed running. We let it warm up for about 10 minutes, just resting on its side, before stopping the engine and putting the blade kit on there.

Randy lifted the auger onto his shoulder and went down to the lake to test the auger. I think we'd finally figured it out - start it and let the bugger *warm up*, which is something we don't have to do with the 2 stroke, but for the fact that this thing makes less noise than a go-ped, it was worth a try.

4 holes later, he was smiling and waving and jumping up and down. It worked. Drills holes faster than its older brother. It finally worked.

Now, if wishes were horses, there would be a 10" synthetic blade kit, and all things would be equal. However, the Strike Lite is not rated for the kind of torque needed to turn a 10" anything. 'Nuff said.

8" holes will work just fine for me. That 2# weight of the synthetic blade kit is utterly amazing. And after the last blade incident, I remembered that we ordered a second set of blades for the Strike Lite right after we bought it. So, yes, they're in the pocket in hubby's fishing backpack.

Yes, it drools a little oil, too. It has the tiniest little bottle of crankcase oil that it comes with. But for the fact that it runs on unleaded (91 octane), the gas can doesn't leak or need to be vented, and there's no gross smoke or insanely loud motor, it's the coolest thing on the planet.

After being cautious now for 3 seasons, I can now say that the Strike Lite, if you can afford one, is definitely worth it. That powerhead is pretty darn cool, and it cuts fast. Hooray!

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The Strike Lite has redeemed itself!!!

Sorry you had so many problems. I bought mine this year and it works great. It does take a few minutes to warm up though. I mainly bought it because of the weight factor, since I pull my sled by hand. If I had a snowmobile or 4-wheeler, I might opt for something a bit more powerful, but all in all, I like it.
bones62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Glad you gave it another shot Nancy! I'm pretty happy with mine. It does need to warm up, but only a bit. I think any motor appreciates a chance to warm up before you rev it up. If it dies when you try to begin to cut then you haven't let it warm up long enough (but I guess that's obvious). I think it's cool that the motor is made by Subaru, and like a Subaru I expect it to work hard and last forever -- at least that's how I could justify the cost.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

After the hard-starting thread, your input was quite helpful, Albow. Glad to hear yours is working well for you!

FishinGal
Got Fish?

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bummer about the problems with the auger, glad to hear its working good now..........a quiet auger? that would be kinda weird, I love the sound of an auger off in the distance when I am icing, its like a distance whisper, "here fishy, fishy........."

Dan

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Strike-lite is garbage. It will fail you when you need it the most. The blades suck and the motor will leak more and more. Get rid of it while you can. Chipper blades work best in Colorado- that synthetic head will not push freezng slush and water through, it will clog and let you down!
KokaLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Strike Lite only comes with chipper blades.

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've not used anything else, but it does take some technique to keep slush from clogging up. Here's what I found worked today at 11 mile: Drill down about a foot, then pull back up to clear. Repeat as needed. When the motor starts to bog down and you can tell you are almost through (wet heavy ice) push down with good steady pressure keeping speed up and hang on tight -- you want to punch a clean hole. Otherwise you do risk having the thing corkscrew itself down into the hole and you have to dig out the slush by hand (!) Maybe this happens with "regular" metal augers too, I don't know. Surprised the heck out me when it happened the first time! Ice was nearly three feet thick.

The chipper blades that it came with seem to work fine. I carry my auger in an auger bag so if it leaks a little it's not a problem. Seems like it did leak a bit when new last year (that's why I bought the bag) but not anymore. I do try to watch and keep the correct side up when I lay it down, as labeled on the motor.

I've never had a problem starting it and I like the quiet motor, no oily smoke, and it's nice and light for hauling. (There's this one lake I like to fish that you have to haul your sled and gear up hill quite a ways -- if the darn road will ever open up)
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

I agree the strike light does leak oil at first. You have to wait a while for it to break in like any other engine. I agree with the fact that it does not like the slush but as with anything else you have trade offs. The metal augers have more torque per pound but these augers are light. You cannot put that much torque on a plastic blade and are trading lightness for a little less power. Since they are so light you can easily pull the auger out and remove the ice shavings before you break trough the ice at the bottom of the hole.

I had the auger at Granby yesterday and was punching through with no problems as the ice was much thinner than at the mile. Remember these augers have to be treated with care and not set with the wrong side down as they will leak oil, of you do set them wrong side down. (I power washed mine at it still works fine) If you are having a problem with oil as I did at first I can hope you have not over filled the crank case. I was also told that if you do not let the auger warm up it will also spit a little oil. The best way to store this auger is to put it in a milk crate and it will not leak oil. So yes my strike master express will deal with the slush more effectively but the strike light traded power for lightness. I like the strike light but will always have my lazer mag express as a back up.
Fhallest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Albow, we do just about the same thing with our auger to get the holes at the 'mile cleaned out.

We noticed after about the 10th hole or so that you 1) drill down about a foot and clean, 2) another foot and clean, 3) keep going and this cylinder of ice shavings and slush and everything comes out when you get all the way through. Nice way of cleaning the junk out of the hole and almost no scooping afterwards!

I know you'd mentioned that you keep your auger in a case - we, being extremely limited for space, have come up with a goofy, but effective solution. We detach the blade kit from the power head, and keep about 3 extra screws and a driver kit in hubby's backpack. The blade kit can go lengthwise in the sports box on top of the car, and the powerhead goes in it's own XXL Ziploc bag on it's side, gas tank down, in the top. Whatever leakiness, fumes, whatever, STAYS IN THE BAG!!! We discovered these after having fuel leakiness issues with the 2-stroke, and now both powerheads have their own bags. We also keep fuel for the 2-stroke in its own Ziploc. (After having a fuel line pop off of the 2-stroke and fuel spilled in the trunk of the car at the 'mile 2 years ago, well, you only let that happen once - had to get rid of the carpeting!!! There's a $90 boo boo that you only make once!)

Now, like I've said before, only if there was a 10" blade available... hubby had to cut a mack off at the hole yesterday cos she was too big to make it through a 8"-er!!!

FishinGal
Got Fish?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.