Vexilar FL-20 problems - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vexilar FL-20 problems

I used an FL-8 Propac for several years and had zero problems and good performance. This year I decided to upgrade and bought an FL-20. The first two times I used it , it did as adverised and it was really fun to use the split screen. The third time I took it out (having used it a total of about 14 hours) it started giving me problems after about three hours. It would not even read the bottom unless I turned the gain up to full and then it would still not show my lure or any fish. ( I was catching perch pretty good that day). I called Vexilar and they thought the transducer was bad so I sent it in. When I took it out last Saturday at Wolford it was better but I still could not see my lure or fish..no green, orange-red as it normally would. I moved the transducer up & down below the ice, tried every different setting and still all it would show was the bottom.I sent the unit back and today they called and said they could find nothing wrong. They were nice and are working with me but DARN I need a unit that works! Anyone else having problems with the FL 20?
jonesboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to checkers8
Default Re: Vexilar FL-20 problems

I've had no issues with the 20. I've had it 2 years. Its even been bounced across the ice a few times after flying out of the otter being towed by the snowmobile. Still works great!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ive had my Vex for 3 years now and never a problem like that. My battery is starting to wear down though. Good to hear they are good with customers though.
muskieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

sounds like you might have snow, ice or air bubbles trapped on it. next time you are out, try putting the transducer in the water then wiping it off under water bernie www.fishingwithbernie.com
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie
sounds like you might have snow, ice or air bubbles trapped on it. next time you are out, try putting the transducer in the water then wiping it off under water bernie www.fishingwithbernie.com
mine sometimes gets a real thin clear skim of ice on the bottom of the transducer when i am moving around some, and sometimes i forget to rub it off there and it makes it read real strange, and it you have the transducer hanging up high instead of way down in the hole, and you have a habit of drilling crooked holes that will cause it to read funny as well, not that i have any experience with drilling crooked holes or anything like that
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

My FL-20 gets a little weird sometimes after a few hours of steady use. If I turn it off and restart it it's usually fine but I'll have to start messing with the gain and stuff more as the battery wears down.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

I appreciate your imput. I put a new battery in it on the ice...no difference. I made sure the transducer was clean..no difference. Vexilar has suggested sending me a 19 degree transducer. The one on it only gives a 2' cone at 10', I don't think this will cure the problem as it worked fine for 18-19 hours. Does anyone use the 19 degree?
jonesboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

We have dual-ducer on hubby's FL-18. This the one he had on his old FL-9 SLT that he got in 1997. Has worked great. Yeah, the cone issue is a PILL. Did you get the standard 12 ice-ducer that ships with about 90% of the Vex units?

We've never had a problem with our transducer heads not reading bottom, etc. This is going to sound like a weird question, but what kind of case did you get for your FL-20 - Pro or Ultra? I know we've had to upgrade the one that hubby used, because the original P-160 case did not accommodate the transducer head for the dual-ducer - it was made to take the narrower 12 head. If the transducer head gets bounced around too much (in the back of the truck, snowmobile, etc), it damages the crystal in there and your sonar unit won't get good readings. Hubby's newer case when we got him the FL-18 was the Pro model, that has wells in the back that accommodate all the different sizes of transducer heads. (After more than 10 years of near constant use, he hadn't damaged his, but no truck or snowmobile, either!)

Was your new unit just the head unit or did you go and get the whole new case/ducer/head unit?

I'm really intrigued to hear what the solution is for your problem. I'm bummed you have had so many problems with it.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

simple answer.... Get a Hummingbird. jk...... i love my bird..... its the 160. dual ducer at 20 degree and 60 degree...... havent had a problem yet....... hope u get it workin, those vex's are petty nice but ima stay w\ the bird.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've had my Fl-20 for 2 years now with no problems that I've realized until recently. Not to steal the post jonesboy(sorry figured it was kinda related), but I was at Granby a few weeks ago, and noticed I had sort of a delay on reading my jig at 100ft, it would only flicker green on max gain at the top and bottom of the jig travel, and I don't remember ever having that problem fishing at 100ft last season. Am I crazy because I haven't used it that deep and just don't remember, or should I be concerned and have it looked at? Thanks.

Beaz
beazkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.