Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

tractor and boat wash at CC

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  dallasdb 
#1 ·
I saw a pic of a tractor at CC you could see only half the windshield and the hood. on the news they said the boat and trailer was under water, did anyone see this? it is bad enough to wash your truck this way, but a tractor, WOW

#7 ·
I've been waiting for something like this to happen to my brother-in-laws truck and boat. He has an old Ford 250 that the clutch is next to useless and the brakes aren't much better. I held my breath everytime we put his boat in the water at Lake Powell earlier this summer and just last week he nearly put it into Miramonte when he backed up to put his pontoon in the back of his truck. I keep telling him to get it fixed but he just hasn't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps a good lake wash may do the trick.

#8 ·
I've had two close calls. One at Navajo when it was really low. I drove halfway down the ramp, put the e-brake on, then got out to prep the boat. Got back in and the truck was still in gear. Didn't catch much either.

Another time was backing down at Chatfield in November on ice. Luckily the tires stopped sliding once my rear tires hit the water. We hammered the walleyes that day.

#13 ·
Oof, that's scary. I've launched at some funky ramps in NE that were either dirt/mud or mud covered concrete ramps that I thought I was gonna be stuck in. Nice tip on the gravel for icy ramps. I remember a late in the year trip to mountain res in the middle of a storm and thinking there is no way my friend's truck wasn't going to slide into the water when loading the boat back up. Thankfully everything went well.

#10 ·
^^^^I did that at Granby a few years back. I slid half way down the ramp, stopping only when the back tires hit the water. With 4x4, I still barely made it up the ramp. I still don't know how I didn't jack knife the trailer....
I had to get out and throw gravel on the ramp to get out. The more experienced folks waiting for it to thaw before launching were doing this when I told them I had a big diesel pickup that could do anything: ::)

After I finally stopped and luckily did not jackknife this was me: :eek:

#11 ·
Throwing gravel on the ramp is a good tip. I need to remember that one.

I also know now not to go down the middle of the ramp where everyone else goes. The problem I had at Granby was that the other trailers that had pulled out ahead of me had dripped off and frozen the ramp. The sides would have been a safer bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.