Personal Pontoon Boat - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Personal Pontoon Boat

Thinking about getting a personal pontoon boat for fishing and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Iíve been looking at the Colorado XTS hoping to find it used but am open to anything.

I live right by Chatfield and frequently find myself in Silverthorne right next to Lake Dillion. Would a personal pontoon be good on these bodies of water? I also think it would be a ton of fun to occasionally float a river like the Colorado. Seems like a modest investment to really improve the quality of my fishing experiences but wanted to get some input from others. Thanks.
CubsFan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have an older ODC Sport from Creek Company. They are a Colorado company and I've been REAL happy with it. I probably wouldn't hit Chatfield with it - too many boats going too fast from what I remember (been a long time since I was there though) but might be good for some of the ponds if they are allowed. I don't know about Dillon...

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 9 foot Bucks Bag pontoon that I have had for about 15 years. Still going strong. I've taken it on the lower Gunnison, Colorado from NewCastle to Silt, and the Green River sections A and B. Never had any problems (knock on wood). I also use it on Miramonte and on Blue Mesa. At Blue Mesa I put in at Elk Creek and then paddle around to several of the small coves where boats have to slow down so I don't worry as much about getting run over in there. I have also used it at Lake Powell - Bullfrog at Stanton Creek, also in the small coves. Personal pontoons are a great way to get away from shore and all the crowding that often goes on.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just my two cents others might disagree but for safety's sake I personally wouldn't run anything less than ten feet down a moderate river. Smaller boats can definitely make it but if you hit a decent size wave less than perfectly you could easily flip either sideways or backwards. Bigger tubes have greater weight capacity too which is important when you start adding up all the things that will inevitably make their way onto the boat (think cooler with a bunch of beer). I had a ten foot fishcat which was stolen but was the boat I learned to row rivers on and was great with oars and a trolling motor on small-medium sized lakes. Either way, any pontoon will be much more comfortable than any belly boat out there. I think the capacity on that boat was 450lbs. and I definitely got close to that a few times. The jackasses who stole my boat left the frame so I have an extra one that I'd sell for cheap if you found some 10-12' pontoons. Maxxon sells them seperately too. Good luck.
carroth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Carroth nailed it, although I do have a 9' boat rated for class IV water and I am comfortable with it. I have an 8' that is only rated for class I, I have taken it down the lower Gunnison a few times but only in late summer when the water is low. I would definitely recommend Creek Company
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to pikester01

From my own very experienced experiences, go Creek Co all day long over Classic Accessories products. PM me if you want 411
pikester01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Blow up dolls--
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys I'm sold. I've heard good things about both Bucks Bags and Creek Company. I will probably just be on the look out for a good used deal.
CubsFan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Creek company usually will have a sale on select 'toons coming up in the next month or two or so. From what i've seen is they will discount the entry level first then the next and so on. (don't recall the top end one(s) getting discounted) . Something to look for. And they are made in Steamboat Springs
They might realize there's something inside of them
They might not wanna find"
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Here you go...

http://creekcompany.com/home.php?cat=262
They might realize there's something inside of them
They might not wanna find"
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.