Help me decide: Dinghy or kayak? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me decide: Dinghy or kayak?

Hey guys,

I want a new fishing craft for the summer and I'm hoping to get opinions from people with experience. I'm looking at something tandem for my fiancée and I. What do you guys think... is a kayak better or is a dinghy/raft better? I want to use a trolling motor and have enough room for some gear. I also want to be able to take it on larger lakes, as well as smaller ones. I'm hoping that someone here has a kayak they take on larger lakes because I'm concerned with choppy waters and stability. Obviously a dinghy will keep you dryer and have more room, but maybe a nice wide/sturdy kayak is better on large lakes than I'm expecting.

Just fyi....If I go with a kayak I'm considering the 10' 2person lifetime fishing kayak which is not inflatable but seems stable and let's you stand up on it. Another option I've considered is an inflatable fishing kayak, probably the sevylor Coleman Colorado.

If I get a dinghy or raft I'm looking at probably getting a sea eagle or Saturn. These are all inflatables obviously, so what do you guys recommend? Are there any other brands that are durable and don't cost an arm and a leg? I'd love to hear from somone who has used an inflatable for years and see how well they've held up.
Kamm1004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

You have to go with a dinghy. That way I can yell at you from shore,

dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lol that's a good point you make there!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

My wife has and loves the intex inflatable. It was a great way to try with no real $. She takes it into bigger water than makes me comfortable. At 11 mile the plan is that if it gets bad she'll just go with the wind and I go get her.
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thenewguy,

Thanks for the input. Does she have a motor mounted on the intex? If so, how well does that work?

Also, how would you compare the material if the intex to a sea eagle or other brand? Is it super rigid and durable? Or does it give way and feel somewhat soft if she was to lean against the sides of the boat? I'm assuming this is the intex mariner btw...
Old 02-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not much of a fan of Kayaks, my back can't handle sitting that long and I like to be up above the water to see better. As far as how they are in rough water.
I was in a very remote bay in Alaska waiting out some rough water when 2 Kayakers came in to fill there water bottles. Some Kayakers travel from Anchorage to Seattle through very rough water conditions.
If you go with a kayak and want to fish off it I would try to find a Hobie with foot pedals.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

no motor on the intex, I'm not sure what model, it's all put away and is really her deal. it's firm-ish but I absolutely wouldn't stand up in it.
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Newguy,
It's definitely not the same material as a sea eagle then. You can stand in one and it feels like a real boat

As far as the kayaks go, I'm assuming the ones you saw in Alaska and the ones people in the ocean are "sit inside" styles. I'm more interested in a "sit on top" model to have some freedom with my legs and to be able to stand up and not feel so confined. I wonder if those are are sturdy in choppy waters? Hmm...
Old 02-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Make a plywood floor for the inflatables and they are very sturdy.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

A plywood floor would work. Only thing is, most good quality inflatable seem pricey and seem like they'd be crowded with 2 people. Not that a kayak would be any better lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.