Pueblo 03/19 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pueblo 03/19

Took the pontoon again today. Put in at Turkey Creek and decided to explore a little bit. Made my way over to the trestle to fish around the rocks over there. Wind was blowing me around a bit, so I threw in the anchor. There's a stripping basket that came with the toon and I was messing around with it to re-attach a hook that came off of it. Just about done with it when I noticed that I had neglected to secure my fly rod while messing with other stuff. Last thing I see is the rod tip disappearing in 23 feet of water. I banged my forehead with the heel of my hand, cussed a bit, and if I wasn't such a tough guy probably would have cried a bit. A couple of guys in an inflatable raft came over to help until one of the guys went over the side of the raft into the 52 degree water. He got to shore, his buddy got him and they left. I felt bad because it was kinda my fault. I flagged down a boat to see if they had a grapple. They didn't, so they asked a couple of fellas fishing about 1/3 of a mile from me if they did. They didn't either, but they came over and tried to snag my rod with treble hooks to no avail. I appreciated their efforts, but wasn't about to give up yet. Years ago I used to put in power lines and telephone cables. I looked up the hill by the train track at the power poles knowing that there was probably old lag bolts and assorted other junk laying around them to fashion a grapple out of. Found a piece of 1 1/4" steel about 16 inches long, bent a hook in it and tied it to a piece of my anchor line with a bowline. Bowlines don't come un-done unless you want them to... unless you have stiff assed 1/4 inch anchor line, in which case it comes un-done on your second heave.Back up by a power pole for more metal. This time I found a 12" lag bolt and a couple of pieces of aluminum wire. Twisted the wire onto the ends of the bolt after tying the bolt to my anchor line... looked kinda like a big "H". I started heaving that thing out there over and over. About 12 heaves in, lo and behold up comes my rod by the reel end. I hit my forehead with the heel of my hand, cussed a little bit, and actually came a little closer to crying this time. I was SO stoked to get my rod back. I paddled back(fighting the wind)to the truck and loaded up to go home. No bites today, and no fish. Starting to re-think this whole pontoon thing. I always catch fish outta the bellyboat.
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's determination there!! Nice save and it's OK to cry a little; a man reunited with his rod is an emotional thing... :P
Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Damn, most of know that feeling of losing a rod. Glad you got yours back. Props to you for Mad perseverence!!!
ducky540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Invest into a rod holder that locks using the reel.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky540 View Post
Damn, most of know that feeling of losing a rod. Glad you got yours back. Props to you for Mad perseverence!!!
Agreed. Way to go man.
DoctorDooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Catching a rod with a lag bolt and some wire sounds like a good day fishing!!!

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.