Keystone area... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Keystone area...

Headed to Keystone for a four day conference in Mid-June -- I have early mornings and later afternoons open to fish. My school set me up smack in the middle of the village -- right by the Snake River and by Keystone Lake. I've iced Dillon but never open watered it. Same as Green Mountain.

Any decent fish from shore at Dillon? Will lakers still be cruising the shallows mid-June? And most importantly, can I fish Keystone Lake Bringing a spinning set-up, baitcast set-up, and a fly rod (which I suck at but might as well try and fit in). :0

Anything bigger than what I have caught!

da_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

No you cannot fish in keystone lake.
btaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
leg

It's worth walking around Keystone lake and buy some of the fish food to feed the fish, they are huge. There are some decent fish in Dillon but you may have to fish thru a lot of smaller ones before you catch a decent one. Salmon eggs seemed to work the best in past years but you never know what might be the magic bait this year.
Note the special limit on Arctic Char in Dillon Res;one over 20"
leg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hike to Little Dog Lake. Cuuuuutys-
Old 05-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

dillon has limited access to anywhere you actually want to be. if you go on any of the shoreline between the dam and frisco there's free parking and wonderful views of the snow bunnies on their paddle boards. the fishing sucks.
If you go on around to the inlets you can stand on top of 20 of your new best friends.
If you want to go to the points they are pay camp areas and you gotta pay to even fish (blows because that's one of the places I want to be) if you go around to the keystone side there's the long finger by swan mtn rd, park right away as the road goes up and hike down the steep ass hill and walk along the sketchy bank. you'll catch plenty of nice eater trout (14-18") with kasty's or small jigs. it's a crappy walk but a nice place to stand. and you can look across the inlet at the bazillion dollar houses perched on the cliffs. the trout out of dillon taste pretty good even with all of the unwashed stoners getting in the lake
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

the snake river thru Keystone can be fun and there are a lot of fish in that stretch. Dale the owner of that fly shop makes sure it is stocked pretty well for his guide service. Also, some of those big fish from Keystone lake end up in the river right there. bead head prince nymph will do the trick

There was a guy a few years ago who use to poach that lake and post on this forum - it was funny because all of his posts were huge trout and all in the dark, lol.
Stickbait Pillager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

the snake is a fun little river with a few nice fish that are big. it's super easy access too if you're right in the middle of town. i've done well there on both nymphs and dries, if you can find some of the bends or dead ends in the river the fish rise willingly. do some hikes up to higher lakes like Slayer said, not too high though they will still be iced.
Small Trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

They drained the lake about a year ago for repairs.all the fish that were in the lake were put in the river,some made it most did not survive.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Also the fly shop at keystone is no longer there.

Last edited by btaylor; 05-24-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fish behind the high school. You can fish at nite. Fly-muddler minnow- on bubble.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.