Minnkota Terrova Autopilot Copilot? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Minnkota Terrova Autopilot Copilot?

I have been thinking about adding an electric trolling motor to my boat (for a couple years now).* *It sure would be handy for casting and jigging.* * I have been looking at the Terrova digital autopilot, something that is easy to use (meaning it doesn't require constant course corrections) from any where in the boat.

Does any one have experience with the Terrova?* How well does the autopilot feature work?* I'm wondering things like: you have the autopilot turned on and make a course correction does that corrected course become the new heading? or do you have to turn the auto pilot back on. How does it do in the wind, can you run at an angle to the wind or do you have to go straight into it?
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Default Re: Minnkota Terrova Autopilot Copilot?

Bernie has that motor and loves it.* I have the Power Drive V2 with the wireless copilot (no autopilot since I don't troll) and I love the copilot feature.* Now I can control the motor from anywhere in the boat.* You can mount the control right on your rod and control everything with your thumb.* Sweet.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a powerdrive with autopilot and the co-pilot.* The autopilot does adjust course when you steer the motor while using it and is pretty accurate about changing to the new heading.* Autopilot stays on unless you turn the motor off, so you don't have to turn it back on all the time.* I bought my boat in late June, but can't imagine fishing without it and I find that it has uses beyond the usual trolling; for example I've used mine to slowly drifting and following contours and I've used it to counter current in moving water so I could maintain boat position.*

As Don suggests, I also highly recommend adding the co-pilot.* Mine didn't come with it and I hated spending more money, but I love the wireless nature and compact size for controlling the motor and now consider the purchase to be one of my best since I bought the boat.*

The wind is a tricky question as there are so many variables such as lake basin shape, depth and orientation, wind speed and boat design (just to name a few that come to mind) - but in general I've found that you can run at your desired heading, even at an angle to the wind.* I fish in some large Wyoming reservoirs that have a lot of wind and the electric can be tricky to maintain boat control with under those conditions - with or without autopilot and copilot.* In moderately strong winds, the autopilot will have to make occasional steering corrections which may cause your boat to get slightly off course (for example if you are trying to follow a submerged road bed or some other linear feature), but I think it's a lot easier than constantly steering the motor without it. I don't think you'll regret it if you make the purchase(s).
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

I also need some dimensions, like how wide and high the base is. It will have to go under my bow rail, and deploy/stow from under the bow rail. I know it might be a bit awkward but I don't really want to cut the rail.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

You should PM dave110man Terre. He is a master with his and has had it for some time. I'm sure he could help answer some questions.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

i like my 24lb moter guide! un stopable!
denverbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dave110man where are you... I could PM you as EH suggested, but others might be interested in hearing your experience.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAL0362
It will have to go under my bow rail, and deploy/stow from under the bow rail. I know it might be a bit awkward but I don't really want to cut the rail.
Unless your bow rail is like a foot and a half higher than the gunwale, I can't quite picture how that would work. I can, however, picture you cutting the rail.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

i love my auto piolet terre, but you will have to cut the rail. if it is done right it looks good.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Terre-

Your bow rail may be high enough that you won't need to cut it. You probably won't know until you set the motor on there and play with it a little.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.