Homemade pontoon rod holders - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Homemade pontoon rod holders

I took a page out of FishnPhil's "make your own" gear handbook. I was looking for a cheap alternative to pontoon rod holders which can run as much as $80 per pair. The cheapest I could find was about $25 per pair after tax per at Sportsman's Warehouse. I went to a couple stores to see how they are made and decided to give it a shot myself. The tools I used were a table saw, hack saw, file, channel locks and a cordless drill. I could have eliminated the table saw, hack saw and file with a Dremel, but i don't own one.

Below is a link where you can view the pics at shutterfly. The total cost was around $5 for a couple 4X1/4 carriage bolts, lock washers, wing nuts and some adhesive velcro. I used 1 PVC I had lying around, but the 1 inch PVC is cheap. I also used some rubber tubing stretched over the wing nuts to protect my waders. The biggest challenge in this was the little collar between the holder and the pontoon frame.

These have not been lake tested yet, but I hope to take care of that this week. I do not plan to troll with these holders. I am using them solely as something to hold the rods when rowing or attaching tackle, etc. While making them i dropped one of the pvc tubes. It landed on the end with the cuts and it broke. So they can be a little brittle (especially in cold weather). Let me know if you guys have any questions.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...r&linkid=link5
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Homemade pontoon rod holders

They look sweet. I'm sure you could find some stronger material that you could make them out to troll with. I'm sure those would work but I know how brittle PVC can be. Maybe some aluminum piping. You could coat the edges with some sort of plastic or dip them in some plasti-dip or something.
odaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. My preference would have been metal, but I went with PVC for 2 reasons. First, I had PVC on hand. Second, I have the tools to cut PVC but not to cut metal without losing a finger.

Now that I have an idea of what I am doing I can think about improvements.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was thinking the same thing when I was fishing Saturday on my toon. The only thing I would do different is make the holder have the rods positioned straight up and out of the way. I have my rods laying on the extra storage boxes on the sides and they are always jostling around and when the wind picks up they almost fall off. Let us know how they do on the water. Nice design!
moony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks like a good concept I may try something similar for my boat. The only thing I would add is sand them and paint them White to give them a finished look. I might go another color but white won't show when scratched.
mobyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
I was thinking the same thing when I was fishing Saturday on my toon. The only thing I would do different is make the holder have the rods positioned straight up and out of the way. I have my rods laying on the extra storage boxes on the sides and they are always jostling around and when the wind picks up they almost fall off. Let us know how they do on the water. Nice design!
I couldn't put then straight up because they got in the way of the oars when resting them on the pontoons. I haven't graduated to a trolling motor yet.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very nice looking man! I just picked up a couple from bass pro after my own failed attempts at making some, hahah. On my kickboat I don't have any kind of frame to mount it on, it appears you have some sort of metal pole that you connect the rod holder to?

One thing that might be nice for you, I hacksawed the pvc tube for my rod holders and it came out pretty choppy and I was afraid it would tear up my rods and the cork, to I took Marine Goop and rubbed a layer around the PVC, once dry it is rubbery and it protects your rods from the pvc and also provides some friction to keep your rod in place.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nice work! I also went the PVC route, and I just filed down the edges of the pipe so that they didn't chew on the rod handles. My current rod holders run the rods parallel to the pontoons (they lie flat) except for the two trolling rod holders.

I am now trying to decide on whether I should go with a "rocket-launcher" type arrangement similar to the ones some of the CA Bass 'n' Tubes people use (see below), though I'm worried I'll forget it's there, launch an overhead cast, and destroy a bunch of tackle. My other worry is that I'll forget that I now have rods sticking up almost 9' above the water and I'll scoot under a low branch or something and "crack!".

I guess one option would be to mount the rod holder on the side (towards the rear) that I'm least likely to cast on, which for me would be the right-rear side. That's how this pontoon is rigged up.

What do the other pontoon users here think? Is there an advantage to vertical rod holders? If so, rear-mount or side mount?
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I can tell you put some thought into the rod holder. Nicely done.

I am going to end up forking the money for a couple of ram mounts since I am not as creative.

Ram mount just came up with a new line that you can adjust to any direction or angle. The nice thing is that they easily attached to pontoon boat frame (providing you have the u -bolt attachment). I have seen them for around $28.00 on the net.

http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/ram_r...ion_holder.htm
Michael in Parker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow FishDr, that thing has everything but a porta-potty - or does it?
john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.