88th and colorado - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
fishinguitars

Default 88th and colorado

for all the guys that live up north in the thornton/northglenn area . I think we should meet and talk to whoever is running the outdoor parks program. Last year this lake had a great trout population with many fish over 20 inches. They opened it to the public with a standard trout limit ? why ? wouldnt it be great to catch nice rainbows right down the street from our house, of course it would and we had it but people overharvested this lake to the point barley no one fishes it anymore. Im sure the lake still has a decent population of walleye's and cats. If the lake was able to produce trophy fish before why couldnt it again. I think it would be great to meet up and try to talk to the city about having this body of water be catch and release for all trout. That brings up Spratte Platte what a great bass fishery very close to home. If you have fished spratt youve seen people keep smaller bass then they should. Youve also seen people toss trash like its the pepsi center where there is a janitorial staff. Its frustrating for me to have these places right next to where I live get trashed and I would like to do something but not really sure of what I can do. If you live in the area and are interested in trying to get some rules changed this winter speak up or im me ...maybe we can get something going

Thornton gravel pit front pond
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 88th and colorado

yeah i agree with u when it opened i caught monster trout and some decent walleyes and cats but this year i;ve went a couple times with no bites or nothin it seems the park rangers are always at the wrong place at the wrong time
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
fishinguitars

I think alot has to be said for the way aurora runs their lakes .....At quincy if you brake the rules you will be caught ...I think thornton might want to look into hiring a full time ranger to patrol these new bodies of water they are opening ....Maybe adams county should do it ...They just opened some new ponds not to long ago and I'm already seeing the worm containers on the banks of a flies and lures only lake !!!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to afishman

hey fg i with you i live right up the street from there and would love to talk to thornton about it. let me know i'll be there
Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
fishinguitars

afishman Im gonna go to spratt when I get a minute today and write the phone number down on who to contact ....we need an attack plan first ....What rule changes do you think would best help the fishing at the gravel pits and spratt platte
Old 10-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

well first off we need to figure out an enforcement angle. the only person i ever see is that a**hole that closes the lakes. i think we need to find out if they are ever going to stock that lake again. i think spratte should be just catch and release since it is already artificials only. just a few thoughts i will think about it.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
fishinguitars

you know what I like about quincy reservoir is on hand rangers...Why not a full time ranger for the thornton lakes ...He can rotate from one to they other since they are in such a close proximity .....Spratt has got to be catch and release....its absurd to me that they wouldnt have made it catch and release from day one. I remeber wanting to fish it when it was private and seeing all those boats out there having fun catching fish...It was a well taken care of lake im sure the people that used to be members of it are very dissapointed at what the city has done with the lake. Im sure city workers in the past fished the gravel pits and knew it had monster rainbows in it....The d.o.w. had to do some kind of survey before they opened it to know this also ...Why open a trophy trout lake with no special restrictions? Why not insure generations to come great fishing this close to home. sorry still venting ...

1. Catch and release all bass at spratt platte
2. Catch and release all trout at gravel pits ...or have a two trout limit, maybe a slot were all trout over 20 inches must be released to the water immediatly ....
3. Full time rangers are needed to properly inforce rules and regulations.

just some of my ideas
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

i would pay to get in. they already pay the rent a cop to close the lakes and give tickets.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
fishinguitars

Im not really sure ....but in these massive grants that the city recieved for renovating(putting paths and docks in ) you think they would have saved enough money to protect them...The grants that they got were well into the millions if I remeber correctly .....or just like the city of aurora pay an entry fee...I think a 3-5 dollar entry fee would run out alot of people who break the rules right away. *The use the entry fee to help pay salary's and what can't be cover with that tax the public ....Im sure the city could recieve more grants...whatever it takes really ...

I know no one wants to pay more taxes but how much of an increase could it really be
Old 10-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

i like that idea about just needing one ranger .they are so close to each other. you are right the entry fee would keep alot of the poachers out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.