Colorado State Record Largemouth Bass - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Colorado State Record Largemouth Bass

Really?? Does anyone know Tom Bever? If so, I want pics. I could care less about location (I'm not looking for hints, just authenticity).

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b..._spot_CO_Tuber

This past July, Bassmaster Opens angler Tom Bever of Boulder, Colo., put his float tube in a pond within the Boulder city limits. It was an exceptionally hot day when he stepped in the undisclosed pond with a friend, and they immediately started catching fish.

"We were catching bass on a YUM Craw the biggest one they make and put some Dirty Socks (a lure scent made by Frazier Marine Group) on it and cast it out. When it hit bottom, I jerked it twice to make sure it wasn't caught on anything, then set the rod back down.

"When I went to pick it back up, it started moving. I said, 'I've got a carp on here or something,' and I set the hook.

"All of a sudden, my buddy Roger shouts, 'Hey Beav! I thought you didn't bring your trolling motor!' I shouted, 'I didn't!' Then he said, 'Well how come you're going forward?'

"I said, 'I got a big carp on here pulling me. It's unbelievable! I can't stop it with my fins!' When it made a turn, I started reeling real fast, and I looked down, and it was the biggest bass I'd ever seen in my life! I then realized I didn't have a net or stringer.

"It turned to go back down and there was no way I could stop it right away. I yelled to Roger, 'Hey Roger! Go to my truck and get my cell phone. Call the sheriff's house because I got a big fish and you ain't going to believe it.' By this time there was a crowd of people on the bank as I was bringing the fish in.

"He went all 412 steps back to the truck, got the phone and called the sheriff and my friend who's a game warden. In the meantime, two police cars came out with the sirens on because there was a crowd of people. They must've thought someone was drowning.

"I brought it in, and we took it and got it weighed. When we found out it was a state record, I thought it was such a great thing. I'm thrilled to have caught it."

Bever's 13-pound, 8-ounce record has yet to make it to the books despite being nearly seven months old, but he says it's being processed. It beat the old record by 2 pounds, 2 ounces.
marledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Colorado State Record Largemouth Bass

I'm skeptical.....a fish draws a crowd and word just now gets out?
Koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
I'm skeptical.....a fish draws a crowd and word just now gets out?
Shoot, even ZMan was outted for his fish in just hours.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

everyone's always skeptical. but this appears to be a weight record, not a C&R record. if the dude's not on the forum, that might help with the secrecy. nevertheless, if the DOW has it, that's enough for me. well, i want pics too, but it's not like he can just lie about length and girth measurements.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't believe it. Even teh State record cat was a non-forum member and he was outted just that quick.....
Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting - I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds totally bogus- why would you:
A: Call the Sheriffs office? Of all the fish I have ever caught, I have never considered calling a policeman to the scene. Really?
B: Count the steps back to your vehicle? 412, not 411 or 413 - huh?
C:If he is an avid Basser- would he yell all over the place to onlookers when he had a nice fish on? Most would quietly land it, then maybe realize the potential for a State record, then you may let some in on it that were nearby.

I can resist everything except temptation.
Mickey62060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Whatever the case may be...nice tip on the huge Yum Craw with scent. I will give that a try in the dead of summer at some local spots.
Nascar or Fishing? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let R Rip
Sounds totally bogus-

If he is an avid Basser- would he yell all over the place to onlookers when he had a nice fish on? Most would quietly land it, then maybe realize the potential for a State record, then you may let some in on it that were nearby.
Yep. And in all my days of bass fishing I don't think I've ever hooked a big fish and then thought....

"I then realized I didn't have a ... stringer."

Shenanigans!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.