Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

7-Up or Sprite to stop a fish's bleeding?

6K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  walleye seeker 
#1 ·
A friend of mine says he learned of a new trick to stop the bleeding of a deeply hooked fish, and says he has tried it on a big deeply hooked lake trout and it works. Apparently you simply hold the fish's mouth open and pour 7-Up or Sprite in, irrigate the bleeding area with it, and the bleeding stops.

He says he saw an article on it, and when he had a bleeder last winter, used his Mtn. Dew and that worked, too.

Anyone else ever heard of this, or tried it?

#3 ·
Never heard of it till today.. and thus have never tried it.....

But after a couple google searches it references this as the reason why:

"Here is where the soda come into play, that might help to save a fish's life. Use a soft drink that has some citric acid(Mountian Dew, Sprite, Mellow Yellow, 7UP) Once the fish being to bleed from the gills or gullet, pour the soda on the affected area. The acid in the soda will make the capillaries shrink and reduce and my stop hemorrhage."

"I was browsing through this months bassmasters, and there is an article that explains how soda with citric acid can stop hemorrhaging when a fish begins to bleed from the gills or the gullet. Sodas with citric acid that are poured on the affected area causes the capillaries to shrink."

#11 ·
Twitch said:
viking said:
Yes, that works,..but they usually show back up for a shot of Seagrams.
ha ha, I was thinking the same thing viking. Heal em up then make them forget the whole ordeal so they bite again in the future.
Hilarious, Twitch. Somehow"forget the whole ordeal" applied to a fish got me laughing. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.