How To Catch Splake? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How To Catch Splake?

I was wondering if anyone out there fishs for them specifically? I caught a couple of 16" Splake at Antero by accident on Prince nymphs.

Both Carter and Horsetooth are being stocked with decent numbers of Splake and i would love to catch a big one! Especially in the fall when they take on the spawning colors of a brook trout!!!!!! Has anyone caught them on Tube jigs, Jerkbaits, etc? Since they are half laker I would imagine they might fall to simular Laker methods? I would think the next six weeks the water will be cool enough to keep them along rocky shorelines?
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
laker taker

Default Re: How To Catch Splake?

I have targeted Splake with some success at Wolford. My most successful method was to use a Blue Fox Pixee spoon in the spring. My thinking was that the water temp was good for the splakes tolerance zone and the Rainbows were in the spawning cycle. If you've fished Alaska for salmon,* you've for surely used or seen pixee spoons. They are supposed to resemble eggs (roe) with the flash of a lure. I fished my baits fairly shallow in the various coves and small tributary type spots. Like I said I've had limited success but that was the method I caught the most on. Good luck, I would love to hear some other successful methods.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
laker taker

Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

What is a splake? Is it a hybrid?

A Brooke trout + Lake trout?

Also, Why are Lakers and Brookies called trout when their not trout?

[me=Jay_In_Parker]* [/me]

"Are you a fisherman?" "No, I fish for lake trout!"
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nevermind, I found my answer

Quote:
Splake are a hybrid trout resulting from the cross of brook trout and lake trout.

[me=Jay_In_Parker]* [/me]

Old 02-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
laker taker

You got it. Brook+Mack=SPLAKE. My brother works in the wildlife management field, and he tells me,,,, Splake, being a hybrid, are used in cold water lakes just like tiger musky are in cool water lakes. Keep a lake clean of undesirables. They cannot reproduce because they are hybrids so the DOW can somewhat regulate their numbers. Lake Trout are always the dominant predator in any lake which they exist, even over Pike (imagine that!) so Splake will exhibit the dominance part, but be more tolerant of a little higher water temps like the Brook. So i guess they are a fishery management tool essentially. I guess they can get fairly large. Come to think of it now,,, I need to start fishing for em more too!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I found some good info on them at this site: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/fis...ion/splake.htm

One of the quotes says they can reproduce?
Quote:
This hybrid trout is genetically stable and capable of reproducing. However, splake reproduction has never been documented outside of the hatchery environment.
Thanks, Your a good addition to this site!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

Old 02-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah,

"Sp"eckled trout + "Lake" trout = Splake. Jefferson has a bunch. Standard laker fair like tube jigs work well. Elevenmile has some. Pete had either a Splake or Laker up to the boat last spring at Elevenmile.

T

tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know they salvaged a quite few big Splake a couple of years ago at Antero and put them in 11-Mile.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

I used to catch a lot of them at Carter Lake in the mid to late 90s (14-20 inches). I caught them downrigging on flashers with a tri-colored needlefish. The magic depth was 30-35 feet along the west shore. I trolled just off the bottom (lost a lot of gear but caught fish). I think they were just off the bottom, because they were feeding on crayfish. Some of them would be bulging with crayfish (10-12 in the stomach). The meet was a bright red/orange like store bought salmon and they had an excellent flavor. Used to be able to limit on them there, but have not caught many recently. I was wondering if they stopped stocking them in there.
Fish Fondler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.