Trolling Motor Thrust for pontoon boats - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trolling Motor Thrust for pontoon boats

How much thrust do you run for a trolling motor on your personal pontoon? I'm looking around and I've seen a 30 pound thrust transom mount minn-kota trolling motor at walley-world for $99, and a 40 pound thrust for $170.....
Koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Trolling Motor Thrust for pontoon boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
How much thrust do you run for a trolling motor on your personal pontoon? I'm looking around and I've seen a 30 pound thrust transom mount minn-kota trolling motor at walley-world for $99, and a 40 pound thrust for $170.....
You want enough thrust to be able to hold you in the wind, or to make headway against the wind. Personally, I consider 30 pound thrust to be the minimum. Equally important, is the adjustability of that thrust. With my last canoe, I had a motor that had five speeds, and I always seemed to need a speed that was halfway in between two of those available. I don't know whether there are motors out there with infinitely adjustable speed, but that would be really important to me.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Get the biggest one you can afford. Pontoon boats ride high and catch alot of wind.
I wouldn't get less that 55 lb.

You'll never say-"I wish my TM wasn't so powerful".
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbydog
Get the biggest one you can afford. Ponton boat ride high and catch alot of wind.
I wouldn't get less that 55 lb.

You'll never say-"I wish my TM wasn't so powerful".
This.

Whenever customers ask about trolling motors for boats or pontoons, I say the exact same thing. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH POWER when it comes to electric power. Same with batteries. Now, obviously, there are size and weight constraints with personal pontoons, so don't get ridiculous about it. All things considered, I'd use a 40# as a minimal baseline, and consider going up to 60#.

Use a good deep cycle battery. Not necessarily for the power, but in case you get caught up in a storm. You want to know you can get off the water, and not end up stranded because your battery was drained trying to fight the wind.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

i have a 17 pd thrust minnkota, a 675 ca marine battery and have never run out on a ALL day fishing trip. my friends got a minnkota 30pder and always runs out before a full day.
id like a 30 for the windy days but if you use flippers you can troll with one flipper to steer. and you can use the flippers to stay on point to jig. itll save alot of battery power that way. im staying with the 17pds. i have the old minn kota off my boat i might be putting on it to see if electric steerings better. its 65pd thrust.. great for all weather windy no wind etc.
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Minn Kota has my other 80lb Terrova right now to replace the control board & shorten the shaft to 34". I searched far & wide to figure out a solution so I could have I-Pilot on a mini bass boat/pontoon for Jefferson and Quincy. This Bass Baby by Bass Hunter will have a bow mount 80lb Terrova -w- I-Pilot at 24 volts. Once I'm done setting it up I'll post a few pics. The weight total will be fine unless I have another adult with me, but I have my other boat for that.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had some concerns about the weight of this motor. It was delivered today. I put it on the digital scale & got 38lbs with the shorter shaft. No more worries.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had a 36# for years...I now have a 30#. Definitely get more life out of a battery with the 30# thrust motor. Performance...top speed..identical...it's the pitch of the prop that gives you that speed and they're all basically pitched the same..

Thrust...more thrust is good in high wind situations..I guess it's more torque..and you'll get that with the larger motors...still not sure it matters..hope to never find out.

My buddy has always used a 30# and has never had a problem. I've used mine five times since I bought it...no problem yet.

As far as remote control for a toon...For me...and others may have a different opinion...a toon doesn't track straight worth a crap...you'd spend all of your time adjusting the steering...maybe not with auto pilot..at least you wouldn't be doing the adjusting.

I steer with my fins when motoring slowing backwards while fishing...and when traveling on speeds 4 and 5..I use the push/pull system..with my legs out of the water.

And yep...the cheaper motors are all...click forward..one, two, three, four, five and one, two, three in reverse. it would be nice to have an infinite speed control.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Got a smoking deal on my Prowler - store discount sure helps a lot.
I have a 50# thrust motor - more # thrust means you can use less motor to do just as much - saves battery life.

Remember, its what the 'insurance' for the company making your pontoon boat says is 'max thrust' - given, you don't need a 80# thrust motor for a 8' pontoon - given, a 30# thrust trolling motor in the wind will maybe keep you in the same spot - but at full throttle, your battery will quickly be toast and you'll still be rowing.

I had an old 36# motor on the Paddlefish last year - wasn't at all thrilled with the results. Hubby has a 50# Prowler on his boat (Creek Co. Sport LT- and just shoots right across the ponds with that.

I don't need to shoot - just get going. Make sure your seat has a swivel on it, or you will hate what your shoulder does to you the next day. Get the best battery you can (AGM Deep Cycles are the bomb, IMO) and a good charger. Make sure your charger is set up correctly for your type of battery - flooded or AGM - both charge a little differently.
Also make sure you know how to raise your motor in a hurry - newer MinnKotas have a nice system - saves your shaft and your prop. Three blades are always better than two. I currently have an older Exide Dual Purpose battery - got it for nearly free from a friend, and it works okay, but am planning on upgrading to a nice AGM as soon as I can afford. (Fish Finder runs off a separate Vexilar battery)

Oh, btw: we found a very nifty battery status indicator, (digital) made by Vexilar that Reed's sells. Use that for the trolling motor - easier to look down to see where battery is (on fish finder mount) than turning around to see charge status on top of motor). If you're interested, really a nice deal for less than $30: http://www.reedssports.com/Product/p...D=12603&pc=187

Comes with spades like you use on a Vexilar battery - used some sprinkler wire and added ring terminals to the end, and insulated lugs on the other to attach to spades. A square of velcro on the back and a velcro strap on the Ram Mount for the fishfinder.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Andrew, I agree with Hobie that you should be able to get by with just a 30, 36 or at most 40 lb thrust motor. You aren't moving too much weight so a smaller motor would be sufficient most of the time. The biggest problem with a larger motor is when you want to run slow and speed #1 is too fast. That will happen more often than not having enough speed to combat the wind. On my little car topper boat my 40# motor won't go slow enough to lindy rig on 1 so I have to keep turning it on and off to go slow enough. The best solution is a variable speed motor because you can get the blade to barely turn and go as slow as you need. I have one of those on my bigger boat and LOVE it. Worth the extra money for sure!!!
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.