Gulp Earthworms - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gulp Earthworms

In a moment of fiscal irresponsibility, I bought a jar of Berkley Gulp! Earthworms, and then, when I opened the jar and saw what an ugly mess they had fobbed off on me, I put it on the shelf and it sat there for at least 6 months.

Then I watched one of the In'Fisherman fishing shows on TV and there was good ol' Doug Stange, pitching out those very same fake earthworms under a bobber and catching big trout.

"Well," says I, "Maybe if Mr. In'Fisherman himself is pushing the product, maybe I ought to give it a chance."

So I rigged up two identical rod/reel combos with slip bobbers and #6 aberdeen hooks, and did a side-by-side test. One rod had half of a real night crawler (about all the hook would hold), and one had the Gulp! earthworm. I fished them side by side for about 4 hours.

And, I'll be damned, they both caught fish, and they came out even. The fake worm didn't outfish the real Lumbricus Terrestris, but it didn't fall behind, either. They both caught numerous bass, a couple of big bluegills, two or three perch, and a couple of trout. I really can't say either one came out ahead.

I really didn't expect this stuff to work, but it did. It didn't beat the night crawler, but it came out the exact equal of a night crawler. I still can hardly believe it. I'll say one thing, if you think you might like to have live bait along for a backup, but you don't want to mess with buying and toting the worms, just keep a jar of these in the tackle box, and they will fill the bill.

W. E.

Note:
This is not a commercial, I have no connection with Berkley except for paying my own hard earned cash for their highly priced products.

Another note:
For the confused, these are not the Berkley plastic worms, they come in a jar and they look like they have been extruded from some powerbait-like material, although they are tougher than powerbait and don't smell like powerbait. (They don't smell any better, just different.)
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Gulp Earthworms

how durrable are they? do you think they will hold up to a walleye tearing at them?
-D-
dmadis8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not entirely scientific, and I would say the sample population is small, still not to bad for someone with too much time on their hands...

Yeah, that Gulp stuff works, sometimes it works really good. I'm a paying, supporting patron of the product, welcome aboard.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even as a retired science dude, you're still up to doing experiments. I agree that it's not a perfect study, but at least it's an attempt. I wonder if different colors of Gulp worms make a difference. I like them as opposed to real worms because I really don't like killing anything if I don't have to. Besides, they keep a lot better. I'm sure if you put a bunch of nightcrawlers on the shelf next to your Gulp worms and came back six months later, well....you know which ones would work better.
silicone boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I share in that fiscal irresponsibility. I think I may have seen the same show. Went out at bought the gulp tails instead of the worm stuff. I bought 2 bags of white 3" tails, two bags of chartreuse 3" tails, two bags of the 3" smelt tails, and two bags of the pink 2" tails. Going to give it a shot next week. The pink ones REALLY look hot!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadis8
how durrable are they? do you think they will hold up to a walleye tearing at them?
No, but real ones won't, either. I would still prefer the real thing for a walleye crawler harness, because the real ones are bigger.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

thats very interesting. I have often wonderred anout those. Thanks for the "field test" report W E. I especially liked the part about sticking them on the shelf for 6 months and they still are good to go. That power bait can get a little nasty sometimes. Good to know the worms can stand up to the test of time as well.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've used them too with good results for lake trout at Rampart.
Firedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

i am becomming more and more a fan of this stuff. i havent used the worms yet but i caught my first fish on powerbait finally. as for it getting nasty, the nastier the better. when ever fishing is slow i will ocasionally try powerbait that i have in my tacklebox. it seems to keep better then salmon eggs. never really had any luck with it though. till last month. one of my jars of powerbait had the lid half off and was dried out. not rock hard but more like rubber. i thought what the hell and cut a hunk off with my knife and put it on a carolina rig floating about 2' off the bottom. i like this setup for bait cause they can run with it with no resistance. whamo! fish on. so i did me an experiment and took out my other jar of powerbait which was still fresh. nothing, nada, zilch! left it out there while i continued to reel in fish after fish on the stale powerbait. not positive but i think the added buyancy of the dried out powerbait caused it to stick out more. it also may be that it left a better scent trail i dont know but know all my jars of powerbait have the lids off of them and are drying out the key is to burp them and put the lid back on for a couple days and burp them again. this way it dries out evenly. you dont want it to be rock hard you just want it to be like rubber. stays on the hook really well this way too. i have seen those gulp worms and after my powerbait experience i may get me some. was even thinking of getting some artificail eggs. my salmon eggs get nasty in the heat. anybody ever fish with those pickeled minnows?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree and so do the fish Im sure, that the nastier the better. But be carefull, after the "hard" phase it starts to grow crystals on it like mold. It may work better, I don't know. But thats when I usually throw it away. But yes, baitfishing for trout? Power bait is a necessary part of my arsenal. Hevent tried the pickled minnows yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.