Augers - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Augers

I'm looking to upgrade from my hand powered auger this year to a gas powered.
Can anyone explain the practical difference between getting an 8", 9", or 10" auger? I will mostly be fishing 11mile and Granby. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.
kofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Augers

i have a 8 inch and 10 inch auger , the benefit of the 10 inch hole is if you have a bigger fish its easy to get threw , i like using my vex too so it gives me more space, but the 8 is decent too , the 8 inch is a strikemaster , probley the best augers, then i have a eskimo, the worst augers
kokaneeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 10 " Strikemaster Mag2000, very nice auger. KK is right, the 10 inch leaves a lot of room for everything, including that 36 inch mack you are gonna pull out this year. . Keep the blades sharp!. Used to know an old guy, Hunter's sharpening, who lived off Federal, that would sharpen for 5 bucks. Don't think he is around anymore. I can't sharpen for the life of me, and new blades are anywhere between 20 and 25 bones. Here's a free tip....start your auger in the morning at home to warm up, then again when you unload at the truck.. At 20 below, on the lake, that bad boy may never fire up. And I always carry a spare hand auger, just in case it WON'T start.(it happens.) Beats having to head home, or walking over to the next people, and saying, "ahem, ah, can I borrow your auger."
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wouldn't this topic work better in the ice fishing section?

Old 09-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Agreed, still works. And a warm welcome,kofish.
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofish
Man, I'll be sure to post in the right place next time. Walking Eagle carries a big stick!
Yeah but he doesnt have the speak softly thing down yet. :P

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lake & kk couldnt have said it any better..... I would never trust a whole day of fishing on my sharpening skills Get them done by a pro you will thank yourself and save lots of money as suggested. I have an old school 8" that will spin me around if i am not ready for it and would always use my buddies 10" whenever i got the opportunity.Always started and cuts very smoothly. I too recommend the 10" strike master with chipper blade. Great augers
cryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have the 10 in. eskimo and KK is right they suck have had nothing but problems with it probably needs to be jetted. One thing I would think about is if you are walking to fishing holes the 8 in. is so much lighter, if you have a sled then go with the 10 in. Big is alway's better!!!!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 05:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

kofish i have the 8inch strikemaster wich i love. i chose the 8 over the 10 just for weight consideration at the time the 8 was i think seven pounds lighter than the 10 and i move around alot. also havent had any problems pulling big fish through or having room for the vexilar. your wise upgrading to a power auger, alot of guys will tell you they can drill just as fast with there hand augers and that maybe true for the first five holes after that theres no competition besides there drilling 6inch holes and you will have problems with those,walking eagle you may want to go easy on the juice as far as i can see this is the ice fishing section!
littlemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

i still have it, haven't really put a lot of effort into selling it.* still runs great though, just started it up last sat.* i personally like the jiffy augers.* definitely not the cheapest but i have had great luck with them. i've had 3 of them and only had one problem.* a spring broke in the drive drum on my first one, after 3 years and probably 600 holes. bought a new spring and good as new. definitely not the lightest augers either but i wouldn't buy anything else.* i bought one of the new stealth 3hp augers last year and all i can say is what an animal. that thing flat out cuts with the chipper blades on it, i get a ton more cuts out of it before sharpening than the others have with the knife edge blades.(unless i hit a rock or some gravel) thats why i always carry a file and an extra set of blades. last year i hit a couple of rocks and numerous gravel spots on the ice. i guess it just wasnt my year. my buddy has an eskimo, what a piece of crap. it runs great even when real cold but cuts like crap. i'll stick with the jiffy.* also the reverse blade direction of the jiffy seems to finish off holes cleaner and with less effort.IMO don't know why it just seems to. pm or e-mail me if anyone is interested in the auger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in