9'' auger is it big enough? - Page 2 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: 9'' auger is it big enough?

those lakes get like a foot of wet snow every time i go up there and don't take my 4 wheeler,so then i have to walk and drag. sorry i just like the big holes. i've tripped and wiped out on them before, but i can trip and fall over pretty much anything, when my girlfriend went all the way in up to her butt, it was in a 8 inch hole, i didn't have my big auger then. i bet she was happy that she has such small feet.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

rad, you saw that 20Lb laker on my wall that my son caught. it came through an 8" hole, so a 9" shoild be fine for 99.9% of what you catch in Colorado.
arkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rad

yeah, I was reading an artical in a magazine and it said a 10'' hole was a must. Some guy at granby last year also told me that someone had a fish on that was to big for the hole. It was probably just a story. I am pretty much set on the 9'' jiffy!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
yeah, I was reading an artical in a magazine and it said a 10'' hole was a must. Some guy at granby last year also told me that someone had a fish on that was to big for the hole. It was probably just a story. I am pretty much set on the 9'' jiffy!
There is a reason you can have holes up to 18" in diameter on some mackinaw lakes! Heh, heh, heh!!

I hope you have the good fortune sometime this Winter to say to yourself, "Holy, s*#t, I need a bigger hole!" We should all be so lucky!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

My big laker came through an 8" hole at Granby. The fish had a 28 inch girth, too big to fit through, fortunately I had heavy line and was able to hold the fish head in the hole while my friend reached in and grabbed the fish, compressing it a little bit as he pulled it through.

If you think you might catch a 35-40 lb laker, odds are the girth will be over 30 inches.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

I had trouble with a huge pike last year through a 10" hole, but it wasn't JUST the girth that made it an issue. It just made it difficult. If the fish would've been dead and not moving I could've gotten it through the hole but it thrashed around like a mofo and half of it would get stuck under the ice while i had one half and then it would shake and i wouldn't be able to hold on. So, when pike fishing, I will never use less than a 10" hole, and that should go for any large fish. The thrashing and getting the fish at a perfect angle can make it difficult sometimes.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFishingBear
I had trouble with a huge pike last year through a 10" hole, but it wasn't JUST the girth that made it an issue. It just made it difficult. If the fish would've been dead and not moving I could've gotten it through the hole but it thrashed around like a mofo and half of it would get stuck under the ice while i had one half and then it would shake and i wouldn't be able to hold on. So, when pike fishing, I will never use less than a 10" hole, and that should go for any large fish. The thrashing and getting the fish at a perfect angle can make it difficult sometimes.
If you had an 8 inch hole the pike would of slipped threw it like a torpedo?

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

not this pike man...you haven't seen the body condition on some of the pike in this lake. This fish was in the mid 40's in length and it almost certainly would've shattered the state record for weight had I kept it and got the record for it, but we all know the story.
Scchase told me a long time ago on a different website he caught a pike out of this same lake through the ice that he got (was it 20 pounds) of filets off of. These pike are in danger of going the way of the dodo bird in that lake though, thanks to the drought and overharvest. It is a lake that should be 100% c&r on the pike because it is so infested with stunted panfish, suckers, carp, and stocker trout. The pike are the only thing keeping the fishery somewhat healthy (the yellow perch boom which happened a couple years back was a result of so many fewer pike in the system than there was since the yellow perch were introduced, and the yellow perch have greatly damaged the once fantastic largemouth bass fishery).

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in