Shelter Anchors - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shelter Anchors

I picked up some anchors today at Gander Mountain (Hi Tech Heavy Duty), then went over to Sportsmans and saw they had some that were much bigger/more heavy duty.

Any opinion on what will work best. The Hi Tech ones are smaller diameter, smaller head, and fairly lightweight. The ones at Sportsmans were shaped the same (long metal rod with screw threads on bottom, rectangle top), but were about twice as thick and very heavy. Would one go in the ice easier/better than the other?
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Shelter Anchors

mtnman,

I use titanium ice climbing screws. They are a little more expensive then some of the lesser anchors you will find but I have found nothing that works better. Most of the ice screws you will find are self tapping and self cleaning and they also function as safety picks if you are on thin ice.

FC
fly chucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I looked at the ice climbing screws last year after hearing about them, but they are very expensive ($30-50 for one). Too much for me to spend. REI had one that was $13 each, but I'm still iffy on spending that much if I can use something that is 2 for $5.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just pound in some 20 penny nails through the floor and the shelter don't go nowhere!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

all the ice anchors will work just fine, put some eye bolts on the outside sides of your shelter and it will make it much easier and faster to anchor down and unanchor to move (if you move a lot). we actually use a cordless drill with an adapter on it to drill 6 inch eye bolts into the ice, then we uses just like motorcycle tie down straps from the eyebolt on the ice to the eyebold on the shelter, then you just pull the strap tight to even things up and take out the slack. i don't like putting holes in the bottom of my shelter as it is a sled and if you are dragging it, then snow gets in the holes, then melts, then gets whatever is in your sled wet. just my 2 cents worth,works well for us. the new clam corp tie down kits work pretty good also. just put one on my fish trap pro. nice, neat and adjustable what more could you ask for..
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

drilling holes with cordless drill is what I do also. angle the drill towards the shelter at about 45 degrees and make your cords tight and you go no where.

Rather than ice screws or eye bolts. I use those big spike tent stakes with the green plastic top. Cost about a buck each.

Dan
Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

I auger a hole on each side of my shelter and tie a rope to the end of a short 2x4, drop it in the hole and anchor the other end to my shelter (with eye bolts).
The nail/spike thing didn't weather for me so well with 4 corners nailed + high winds + warm weather + and me not occuping it = A NEW ICE HUT!! Which really = Live and Learn!!
ling reader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is an interesting one I hadnt thought of...you could fill the holes in with snow to insulate it so it doesnt freeze shut even on a full day of fishing...and it would just cost the piece of rope and a couple of extra holes...maybe a homemade gaff to fish out the tag end of rope...it definately aint going anywhere...I stole it from another site...here is the cut and pasted post...so not my idea...if you put a snap hook on the tag end it would add weight so you wouldnt have to fish the rope down the hole...you just snare it pull it up the other side and clip it to an eyebolt on your sled...

Quote:
I just take the auger and drill 2 holes side by side on the windward side of the fishouse - drill them only 1 inch apart. I then have a tow rope or other rope attached to the portable. I take my ice scoop and fish the rope down one hole and then up through the other. I then tie a granny knot and the fish house isnt going anwywhere. I thought about stakes etc...but I just know I will eventually loose them - and I always have a section of rope attached to the house and an auger with me....so i always have my own "anchor".
Old 12-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

zman,

That is way too simple, inexpensive, and logical.

Priceless
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy
zman,

That is way too simple, inexpensive, and logical.*

Priceless
what the heck are you doing pointing out the obvious(simple,inexpensive,logical) are you trying to give us ice fisherman a bad name. it's all about spending too much and fishing too little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in