heater for ice hut - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hunterfishercamper Send a message via MSN to hunterfishercamper
Default heater for ice hut

Trying to get some girls to go ice fishing but they dont want to freeze. I was wondering what heaters y'all use in your ice huts and how good are they? would you also say how big the ice hut is? (2 person heats easier than bigger ones).

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: heater for ice hut

I use the Mr. heater that pushes 14,000btu. I wouldnt get the BIG buddy heater just bcuz it doesnt work in high altitude for sum reason. It happend to me one year, i took it back and they said that there were a lot of people doing the same thing. Also i use the same heater in my one man, and my four man, it works fine for all.
~Tyler
FISHNBEER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

After buying a shelter, auger, and rods I (meaning my girlfriend)* decided that I* had spent enough cash on gear so I stuff a roll of toilet paper in a small paint can and soak it with rubbing alcohol.* One can does a great job in a two man shelter and three keeps us warm in my buddies 4man.
cwh76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

The old Coleman Focus 5 is the best I have found, they don't sell them any more but you can find them on ebay, you will need to vent your hut.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

When using any gas or propane powered heater Always and I mean Always make sure you have a low oxygen shutoff switch and there is better than adequate ventilation. Be sure to get out of the shelter and open up the doors wide open at least hourly to make sure any trapped carbon monoxide escapes.

If you start getting a headache and or become drowsy while using a gas heater you are getting exposed to carbon monoxide. [u]Shut off the heater and get into fresh air immediately[/u]

Use extreme caution if sleeping in shelter using a gas heater. In addition to making sure you have more than adequate ventilation use a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and tasteless.

If I sound like I am making a big issue its because I am a paramedic and have seen 3 carbon monoxide deaths this year alone. They happened in 2 separate incidents and happened because there was little or no ventilation, no low oxygen shut off and no carbon monoxide sensor.

Don't be the next statistic.

Dan
Old 12-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Agree about keeping the shelter well ventilated when using a heater. The low oxygen
sensor (used on the Mr Heater Buddies) is a great idea, but it is also the reason that they
do not work well at high altitude.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good advice, Dan. A few years ago I read about a woman and her son dying in their duck blind from carbon monoxide poisoning here in Colorado. If it can happen in a duck blind, it can happen in a ice hut.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have ice fished in ND, MN and now for about 11 yrs in Co. I have found the Mr. Heater to be the best. No issues at all at high elevation. I use a regular size bbq grill propane tank, so I have plenty of heat all day/night. I also leave a window open up high for fresh air to get in.
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
I have ice fished in ND, MN and now for about 11 yrs in Co.* I have found the Mr. Heater to be the best.* No issues at all at high elevation. I use a regular size bbq grill propane tank, so I have plenty of heat all day/night. I also leave a window open up high for fresh air to get in.*
It is only the 'Buddy' models of Mr Heater that shuts off at high altitude (if the low oxygen sensor is working correctly) All other models of Mr Heater will work at altiitude as they do not have that feature.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dan:

Pretty scary but true! It is why just sskip using my heater. I put foot warmers in my boots and dress well, even in the hut.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in