Ice Shelter - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ice Shelter

I need help picking out a new ice hut. I have a frabil now, I bought it because it was tall enough to stand in, but it is a square looking one. I fish elevenmile more then anywhere else and the wind is too much for it. I am stuck deciding between the clam or the eskimo, both have the fold over design (better for the wind). My dilema is the clam is $500 and the eskimo is $300....advice? the clam is 80 or 120 lbs (depending size)....since i fish elevenmile i walk...is it to heavy to pull by hand?...

any help would be great!

TJ
tj2rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ice Shelter

My husband and I have an older Clam 2000 that has the flat roof - I feel your pain . Flipover Clams and Eskimos are really nice. Our Clam has handled 3 seasons, and we haven't destroyed it yet. We plan on upgrading to a Yukon or Voyager when we have the capability of hauling it - so far, the issue lies mostly in* what to haul it in - my Saturn L200 has a copious trunk, but the seats have to go down in the back to be able to accomodate the hut. The sleds go in the sports box and we disassemble the auger and put the blade kit up top and the powerhead in the back in a xxl ziploc bag. Moral of this story - trailer or get a truck! Don't get the Ranger, though - that bench seat is too narrow from front to back and you'll be wondering where you're supposed to sit with actual gear on! The HT Polar Escape Magnum hut at Bass Pro looks promising, though - no hard seats, but an interesting idea - flipover with removable seats. And smokin' deal at about $200!

However, there is a guy we've seen when going for kokes at Elevenmile that has a cool wheeled trolley that he hauls his huge 5600 out on and it's pretty slick. I suspect it might be a deer trolley - cool idea for Elevenmile especially. Whatever he's using has wheels that give him a good deal of clearance and they're mounted completely below the surface of the trolley, so he can just fold up his clam and slide it back on the trolley - think little red wagon without the top - just a flat skid. Also, check on the StrikeMaster website for an awesome product - Ice Anchors - that you basically have hooked to your hut (they give you grommets that you screw to the hut and then you have ropes that go to the anchors themselves), and then you can use any size auger (6 - 10") to drill about a 6" deep hole, unfurl the spikes on the locks to match the hole, and stuff them in the hole, pull, and the pressure locks the anchors into the hole. Kept us from shooting across the ice at Granby in a 30 mph wind & snow. Check with whom you buy from - ask tons of questions - a good one is "how well does it behave in the wind?" ( We got the locks with Elevenmile in mind.)

Also, one thing you might want to try, if you're sick of pulling your arm out of its socket, I got the idea for this from a guy at Granby - fishing at Dike III is so tough for that nasty hill you have to practically fall down and crawl back up - he had a long rope attached to a deer drag (that strap thing you use to pull a deer out) that puts all the weight evenly across your chest and shoulders so you don't destroy your arms while hauling a sled, hut, whatever. He was pulling a sled with a flipover Clam Scout (the 1 man one) and was able to get across the ice, and then used the long rope on his rig to leave the sled at the bottom, crawl back up the hill, and then hand over hand his sled and hut back up without killing himself. Very smart idea. So now, that's what I use to haul the sled I pull - the only thing is that it changes your center of gravity a little bit, but it frees up your arms so you can pump your arms if you need too while you walk. Might work great with a wheeled system for your hut.

Good luck, guy. (I work at Bass Pro and Ice Weekend is the 9th and 10th - also, talk to Scott in Fishing - he might have some ideas too.)

Nancy

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great post Nancy!!!...Welcome...dont be a stranger with all the testosterone around here!...

I will get some of the anchors...and attach the grommets to my Fish Pro...
Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

does anybody know about the ice cube tent hut
big k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

the eskimo will be much heavier that the clam, why not get a fish trap, they are more money but way worth it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to checkers8

Forget the Clam 2000 or 5600, follow Jamies advice and buy a fish trap. I've owned a Yukon for the past two years and will never go back to a traditional shanty if there is such a thing. I owned a Shappell 2000 for 8 years prior to buying the Yukon. Although the Yukon is much heavier than the Shappell, believe it or not it pulls easier even with the extra 50 or so #s. The other advantage to Clam Corps Fish Traps is that you can haul all your gear iside the tub and cover it with an elastic cover. You'll never have to worry about buckets falling off or bungeeing your gear down. Additionally, you need to be mobile while ice fishing and the Shappell, Clams 2000 and 5600 is like homesteading once you set up. I guarantee you're not going to move even if it is a calm day. You're not going to catch much fish if you don't have the ability to move. Hell, that's exactly why Dave Genz designed them as such!! I know the Fish Trap is pricey, but it is weel worth the extra coin. My advice would be if you can't afford a Fish Trap look around during th ened of the season when they're clearenced. I bought my at Gander Mountain at the beginning of March 04 for $349.00.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

A buddy and I bought a clam 2000 and a lot of time we dont set it up...not mobile enough and more work than it is worth...I would buy one of the fish traps...I have heard good things about the Otters too...but you dont see them as much out here...
Old 12-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

ditto, you'll never go back, regular square type shelters are a pain in the a$$. *we moved like 12 times this last weekend, imagine doing that with a reqular break down shelter, i had a clam 6800 before so i know what it's like, the thought of moving that much makes me shudder almost as much as the thought of fishing with the hill.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

With the other posts...sounds like we need some "Hill" stories...it is a slow night on the forum...tell us a story daddy!...
Old 12-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
With the other posts...sounds like we need some "Hill" stories...it is a slow night on the forum...tell us a story daddy!...
once upon a time there was a fisherman who was a legend in his own mind named "the hill" the stories he could tell....the crap he could talk... the fish he would catch...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in