Which Vexilar should I get? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Vexilar should I get?

I need a vex but which model should I get? I mostly fish for bows and macks but would like to chase the kokes as well and hoping this baby will help in my quest. Is the Fl 8 a good model? or should I get a fl 20? I want the best bang for my buck! Are they going to discontinue the Fl8 with all of theses new models coming out? I see bps has them on sale right now for anyone else lookin.
flies4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Which Vexilar should I get?

For bows and macks make sure you get one with the bottom 5 foot zoom. I don't think the fl-8 has this feature. The fl-18 does. The fl-20 does everything and then some. The zoom on the bottom 5' is so important because it really shows clearly where your jig and the fish is compared to the bottom.. Some of the nicer units zoom in on any five foot section in the water column.....which would be nice for the kokanee and suspended fish....but even for the suspended fish the zoom is not as important because you are not having to deal with the bottom. Weeds on the bottom really make it difficult without the zoom feature. Hope this helps/makes sense. In other words I think you will have trouble bottom fishing with a fl-8(but way better than nothing), an fl-18 is perfect, and an fl-20 is a little overkill for most.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to DanDANthefisherman

J.M.O.* Get the Marcum LX5 . More power, better zoom features and better interference rejection than any of the Vex. units. Also cheaper than the FL20. Again* J.M.O.
DanDANthefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDANthefisherman
J.M.O.* Get the Marcum LX5 . More power, better zoom features and better interference rejection than any of the Vex. units. Also cheaper than the FL20. Again* J.M.O.
Are you sure? Everyone I know with a Marcum cannot use theirs in close range to other marcums or vexilars as they get to much interference.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Abomb covered it all. The 18 has done well for the last 3 seasons. Before that I had an old fl8 and it helped a bunch, but the 18 is way better in deep water for the macks because of the zoom and definately worth the extra money!!! Get it in a new pro pack with the little tackle box, more lures than you need all day! You will NEVER say "Oh I wish I would have bought the FL8 instead" but you WILL say"wish I'd bought the 18" JMO. Looney
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

The ability to move your zoom up and down the water column would help on kokes, rainbows too. Actually any time the fish are suspended. I use and appreciate that function on the Marcum.

As far as interference, the people using Vex's around the Marcum are affected more than the guy with the Marcum .* It's got a lot of power and decent interference rejection.

Any of the models mentioned so far would raise your awareness of fish behavior and get you catching more fish. They all have their pros and cons.

The best advice I can give is to be sure you get one that you'll be happy with. Don't save a small amount of cash to get a unit that you'll want to replace after you see features on another unit. You'll just end up wanting to trade up, and that costs more in the long run.
hosswolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDANthefisherman
J.M.O. Get the Marcum LX5 . More power, better zoom features and better interference rejection than any of the Vex. units. Also cheaper than the FL20. Again J.M.O.
Are you sure? Everyone I know with a Marcum cannot use theirs in close range to other marcums or vexilars as they get to much interference.
Epic, you have it backwards, I have a LX5 and never have had a problem eliminating interference from Vexs or other Marcums. It has 12 channels of interference rejection! I have fished around people who have owned Fl 18 and 8s who had problems eliminating interference from my Marcum. Its one reason Vex has come out with the Fl 20 which now has its own interference rejection system. If I had to choose again I would probably go with a new VX 1. Not all the bells and whistles but a terrific price. http://www.reedssports.com/Product.t...tail&_ID=10257
OURAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vex "King of the Ice"

iowaice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys Now I just need to decide between the marcum and the vex.
flies4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
3109elvis

Vex. Fl18. IT ROCKS, BIG TIME, I would take it into the bed with me,but the wife said"NO".
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in