Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Ice Fishing (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Vexilar vs. Aqua Vu (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11350)

ice fisher 12-06-2006 03:53 PM

Vexilar vs. Aqua Vu

I currently do not have a Vexilar or an underwater camera. My only fishfinder is a fishing buddy, worthless for anything except as a depth finder. I'm trying to decide if I should get the Vexilar FL-12 for $360, or the Aqua Vu Scout XL 7" screen for $280.
Most of my fishing is done in depths of up to 40 ft. so the camera should give me a good picture that deep.
I can only afford one right now, what would you do?

epic 12-06-2006 04:01 PM

Re: Vexilar vs. Aqua Vu

Hands down vexilar > camera

hosswolf 12-06-2006 04:03 PM

My flasher allows me to "see" the entire column under my hole. I can raise or lower my bait to the fish. I don't have a camera so I won't bash them, matter of fact I would like to own one some day. I just think that you're able to get a bigger picture of what's going on down there with a sonar unit vs a camera.

Don In Denver 12-06-2006 04:05 PM

There have been several threads asking this question. *The almost universal opinion is that the Vexilar is far more useful. *The camera is more of a toy.

iowaice 12-06-2006 04:10 PM

Vex

JohnnyO19 12-06-2006 04:11 PM

Ice fisher. I had the same exact post about a month ago. Check back a few pages, there were quite afew replies.

ice fisher 12-06-2006 04:57 PM

OK, Thanks Johnny. My bad, I forgot to check the archives.

ice fisher 12-06-2006 05:09 PM

I just read all the old stuff from Johnny's post. It's almost unanimous, VEX!
Just stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse to see the new Vex FL-20. $500!!
Pretty cool though, hard on the budget though, I work for a living.
Thanks everyone for your help.
See you at 11 mi. Sat.

TthePikester 12-06-2006 05:27 PM

* * *Ice...scope out eBay for vexilars. I was watching some ealier ( fl18 s ) that were going for a good price since the new models are out now!
* * Good luck !

kokaneeking 12-06-2006 05:38 PM

the vexilar is the best choice , i have both a vex and aqua vu, i had a my camara for one year and the dam screen is all jacked up , i wouldent buy one again , i have a vex and it works excellent , if you want the bang for the buck id go with the vex, the aqua views work good in clear water lakes , and murky water you aint seeing nothing , just my opinion