Unusual Fish Battle - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unusual Fish Battle

Im curisous if this has happened to anyone before, because it sure suprised me. Went ice fising with a buddy who is a member of a property association with a bunch of 40 acre lots northwest of Ft Collins yesterday. They have several small private lakes with trout in them. Anyway, I hooked about a 14" rainbow on a Kasty and during the battle he stripped some line and swam up through my other hole about six feet away flopped in the ice a few times and right back in the hole. I landed it though the hole I hooked him through. The guy I was with and I couldn't believe it. I had a Ratso and mealworm dead sticking in the other hole with the vex transducer and somehow the the line didn't tangle with the other rod or the vex transducer.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Unusual Fish Battle

About two years ago I drilled a hole at Eleven mile. I used the auger to suck the ice shavings out of the hole. Just as I pulled the auger out, a 12 inch rainbow swam into the hole and flopped out onto the ice...strange.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapig
About two years ago I drilled a hole at Eleven mile.* I used the auger to suck the ice shavings out of the hole.* Just as I pulled the auger out, a 12 inch rainbow swam into the hole and flopped out onto the ice...strange.
Yikes! Does that count towards your creel limit?
Not the same, but several years ago at Granby, while ice fishing with 3 other people, my son hooked into a 32+ inch mack, that, before we could pull all the other lines in, had managed to tangle three other lines that were in the vicinity. They all thought they had a whopper on, "til I told them what was happening. We simply let the bails loose, and he was able to land it.
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapig
About two years ago I drilled a hole at Eleven mile.* I used the auger to suck the ice shavings out of the hole.* Just as I pulled the auger out, a 12 inch rainbow swam into the hole and flopped out onto the ice...strange.
Hmmm ... good technique when they aren't biting. Fire up the auger and run it full speed pulling water out until you suck a fish through the hole. Like an 8" straw in a Dairy Queen milk shake.

Jeff

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all of his money on tackle, teach his children to be responsible conservationists, and most likely have a huge honey-do list at the end of the day."
ColoAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in