Looking for good, useable ice fishing Gloves - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for good, useable ice fishing Gloves

Hey all - anybody have their own suggestions or recommendations on some decent, warm, ice fishing gloves. I'm wanting to know if anybody out there makes them that fit dinky little mitts like my little kid size hands (I wear a ladies sz. seven glove), that are warm, waterproof, and you can actually *do* stuff like bait up and get hooks out of mouths without having to take them off. We had the Ice Armor gloves at BPS, but the company never seems to stock SMALL ones! Not to mention the fact that they're out right now.

That's my biggest problem right now is that my hands are so darn tiny. And I froze them to the point of nearly dropping this nice little guy at Tarryall - he was just lookin frosty from the snow he fell in before I could get my photo snapped. I was wearing my windstopper ones, but even they're too bulky to do more than reel with.

Those pink little hands of mine *FROZE* quick - geeeawzus that hurt! Glad I had the jetboil to warm up some snow and warm my hands up.

Got some nice Chota windstopper mittens with cut-off fingers underneath over at Royal Stevens' shop a few months ago. Nice, and I'll take 'em with me tomorrow, but I'm not sure they'll be warm enough.

I have some great Scott gloves that have pockets in the backs that take the chemical handwarmers and they're good for to and from the car and getting off the ice, but, again, need to take em off for actually using my hands to do delicate stuff.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Looking for good, useable ice fishing Gloves

Hey did you embroider that lady bug onto your coat. Just made me think Slayer could use a Grim Reaper holding a fishing pole on his ice suit.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nancy

I was at the REI by Park Meadows and saw a couple of neoprene like (was denser and waterproof) that really looked interesting but they only had men's medium and ladies small...so if there is an REI by where you live check them out...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've never been a big fan of neoprene gloves, my hands always get cold in them. I use the mittens that have a flip top with exposed fingers, great for baiting hooks.
nhurianek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I think no matter what kind of gloves you have once you get them wet holding a fish or whatever they are going to get cold... I like the neoprene once with fleeced lined. I also carry hand warmers for when my fingers get too cold.
I reccommend Glacier Gloves, I dont know how small they make their gloves though... The best thing to do is go to the stores and just try on a ton of gloves.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
dogbreath

Ditto on the glacier Gloves if you have to use them they are the best I have tried.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wish I could help you out but I rarely ever use gloves heck I use my hands to clear my hole anytime the dipper is to far away. About the neoprene ones at least in my experience using neoprene in diving is its warmer once it gets wet.
scchase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I usually take multiple pairs with me. I have a pair of Jimmy Hestra skiing gloves that I love for any work outside. They are leather around the fingers and palm and gortex on top and fleece inside. They are the best pair of gloves I've ever owned. They are excellent for drilling ice holes, setting up the shelter, dragging things on the ice, skiing, snowboarding, using the snow blower and the shovel at home, etc., etc. Being leather, things don't dig in and they've lasted me at least 5 or 6 years. They will also keep your hands warm when they are wet (within reason). I think I got them at Copper Mountain and paid about $75 for them.

They are similar to these http://skiershop.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=501 where the white part is leather and the orange part is Goretex.

I also have a pair of neoprene gloves that I carry just in case and never use - bought them for about $5 or $10 at the army navy surplus on Hampden and Broadway in Littleton. I also have a pair of fleece Remington shooting gloves. They are thin but they work well too.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Neoprenes are looking promising. Just need em small. I'm curious about the Glacier Gloves. Anybody know where in town to find 'em?

And Trout, I designed my bug and had it stitched at work (BPS). That's where the avatar came from.
Love that idea for Slayer - too funny!

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sportsmans had a bunch and I am sure Gander does too...most top of the line fly fishing stores have Glacier Gloves...that is where I found mine originally...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in