strikemaster VS eskimo?? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mista tuan
Default strikemaster VS eskimo??

i was plannign to pick up a hand power auger. and i was wondering if theres a difference in the strikemaster or the eskimo since they are the same price?
18"+ Walleye [DONE 18.5"] | 12"+ Perch | 15" Crappie (12") | 10" Bluegill | 30" Rainbow/Cutbow (18") | 30" Laker | any sized Catfish | 12"+ Whitebass [DONE 17"] | 15"+ Wiper [DONE 24"] | any sized Striper
mista tuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: strikemaster VS eskimo??

There are a couple of different strikemasters. The Lazer is the better one and of course more expensive. The Mora is cheaper and I think very difficult to use, but some people swear by them. I got an Eskimo barracuda 8" and did not like it. I then coughed up the money and bought a 6" Lazer at the end of the season last year and wish I had got that one in the first place. If you are going for 40# lakers you may need a 8" hole, but for most fishing the 6" hole is fine, and it is 100 times easier to use (which means you can drill 100 times more holes before wearing yourself out). I definitely would not buy another Eskimo based on my experience. I also think there is some variability in the quality of the blades on Eskimo's from what I hear. Another advantage of the Lazer is that strikemaster has a blade exchange program for sharpening them.
My two cents
alpineFSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

whats so hard to use about the mora?? cuz i dont want to spend an extra 20 dollars on something thats just not worth it.
18"+ Walleye [DONE 18.5"] | 12"+ Perch | 15" Crappie (12") | 10" Bluegill | 30" Rainbow/Cutbow (18") | 30" Laker | any sized Catfish | 12"+ Whitebass [DONE 17"] | 15"+ Wiper [DONE 24"] | any sized Striper
Old 12-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 6 inch Mora that with new blades cuts like a hot knife through butter and I certainly am not built like Arnold S...and we move a lot and cut a lot of holes through 20 inch Walden ice and can do it as fast as a lot of the power augers I see...we usually have two holes done and the nimrod is still working on his first with his power auger...good for you and more peaceful...also works as a warming up tool if you get cold...although I am trying to find a Nils Master auger locally...from all reports I have read they really cut with no effort...Ice Shanty.com and FishingMinnesota.com the boards there people swear by them...but they are pricey...
Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've got a 6" Nils Master. It is the best hand auger, by far, I've ever used. I got mine from Cabelas - they're quick on the shipping. John
john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
I have a 6 inch Mora that with new blades cuts like a hot knife through butter and I certainly am not built like Arnold S...and we move a lot and cut a lot of holes through 20 inch Walden ice and can do it as fast as a lot of the power augers I see...we usually have two holes done and the nimrod is still working on his first with his power auger...good for you and more peaceful...also works as a warming up tool if you get cold...although I am trying to find a Nils Master auger locally...from all reports I have read they really cut with no effort...Ice Shanty.com and FishingMinnesota.com the boards there people* swear by them...but they are pricey...

I'm gonna be "captain obvious" here. I ahve used a dull power auger and worked my #$s off and used a brand new sharp hand auger and zipped through thick ice...The moral is probably have a new sharp power auger...I have had a ton of luck with my nine year old Lazer mag 2000..O.K. I am done rambling
Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

ROFLcopter
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_steve
ROFLcopter
I'm slow Scuba, you gotta spell it out for me!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

rolling on the floor laughing(spinning around like a helicopter)

lol
Old 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_steve
rolling on the floor laughing(spinning around like a helicopter)

lol
Thanks for the interpretation!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in