Automatic ice fisherman - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Automatic ice fisherman

Has anyone used one of these or know where they sell them in the Denver area? I saw a tv show today where they were using these, and they looked pretty slick. Typically I ice fish jigging one pole and baiting a tip-up. This would be great to replace the tip-up, since a rod and reel is attached to it.
altidude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Automatic ice fisherman

Not sure what it was called, but I saw something at Gander Mountain in Aurora, it was like a battery operated jigging machine that you attach a rod & reel to.Does that sound like what you're lookin for?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I designed an auto hooker very similar to this and was going to patent it... until I found out the price tag . The thing you really want to check out is the 'sensitivity' of the trigger mechanism. You can relate to what is desirable if you've ever used a strike indicator on the end of your rod. Sometimes a bite is so lite it barely moves the strike indicator. Mine is ultra sensitive and has performed very well for me. Mite be willing to demonstrate and even build for a selective bunch... ie: cluster or wad!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
3109elvis

Yes i saw them too, at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain,Sportsman Warehouse.The look very need , little big though , the cost somewhere between $40-$60bucks.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Automatic Ice Fishermans are $30 at BPS and we have been sold out of them for most of the month.
Hopefully we will be getting more.

Randy spent an hour and a half on the phone back in the spring with the guy who invented these up in Wis. and after he got off the phone, my husband had his whole Wisconsin-Yooper accent back with bells on.
He got the guy the phone number for the BPS buyer at Springfield, so that's why BPS got em this year.

They sent a demo stand to us, covered with pictures they used in their DVD. Very funny.

Makes all other deadstick tipups look positively silly. There's the basic (just the holder) version, and two combos with either a 27" or 30" rod and reel combo. Dave Bryant said he loved his.

God, if you can get 'em, totally worth it. Best selling ice fishing accessory I've ever seen. Bought two as soon as we got em in back in Sept. Had more fun screwing around with those on the kitchen counter !!!

Word to the wise, if you use fairly light tackle and use the orange spacer, hold on to the spacer when you let line out, or you'll end up with a tangled mess in no time. (monster wind knot). I've cheated and taken the auto anti reverse off my reel when setting this up, but it's still a little awkward. (using the* vexilar to get the depth right before setting everything and leaving it be.)

If you have used one of these things, any suggestions on how to make it better?

Catch some monsters through the ice!

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal

God, if you can get 'em, totally worth it. Best selling ice fishing accessory I've ever seen. Bought two as soon as we got em in back in Sept. Had more fun screwing around with those on the kitchen counter !!!
D*MN !!!! wish i'da spent the $$$ on that patent! designed mine back in the '80's... live and learn... then kick yerself in the arse... D*MN !!!

Old 12-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Auotomatic Fisherman

This device works great as a dead stick and also as a tip up.....
Kerry is the owner and they also sell the combos..I am on thier Prostaff and I use the product......you can set these things for just a sniff..........
Feel free to contact me...Bass Pro will have these very soon.......
xtremeiceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

bobber- I like your "homegrown" design. I may try something like that till I can find the commercial version. I'm guessing it takes a pretty good hit to trip the rod , correct?
altidude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just got a new shipment of the Auto Ice Fisherman at BPS.
Enough for an end cap but I'm sure they'll sell quick.$30.

Catch some monsters, campers.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
fly-ice

This is my version

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in