IF YOU FALL IN ... GOOD thing to remember ... man vs wild - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IF YOU FALL IN ... GOOD thing to remember ... man vs wild

was just watchin Man Vs Wild ... he took a deliberate plunge into a frozen creek for survival sake (tv) & for our knowledge .. anyone else see it? please comment

I dont remember if he actually mentioned doing it .. but i noticed later He made 2 quick hand-holds with his warm hands on the crust where he would have to pull-out ... OR the crew made those to make it easier for the shoot

So, he stayed in water for a bit to show effects of shock mainly to show us the long term affect of falling in.

Do you think "not getting out quick" is a better idea, so when you do get out .. it is VERY warm outside water. unless you barely go in, then whatever .. Im talkn "up to the chest ... all gear lost" kind of plunge

dogkatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: IF YOU FALL IN ... GOOD thing to remember ... man vs wild

I'm no doc. But I would say get out as soon as possible. Water can be cold enough to shut you down in minutes, out of water you may have a chance. I have been in water cold enough to take your breath away on a dare, can't imagine if I was alone and had no help to get out.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This was posted in a thread about a year or so ago by Don in Denver. Very interesting, I would trust this guy more than the man vs wild guy..........

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

Dan
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogkatcher
Do you think "not getting out quick" is a better idea, so when you do get out .. it is VERY warm outside water. unless you barely go in, then whatever .. Im talkn "up to the chest ... all gear lost" kind of plunge
Back in my days as a fire medic... I would call that job security...* .
Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
This was posted in a thread about a year or so ago by Don in Denver.* Very interesting,* I would trust this guy more than the man vs wild guy......
I remember that post too .. I was even thinking about it while watching tv show .. same thing as video, they both say your body will get over the initial shock after a cpl minutes, then have more energy to get out

sounds weird, but everytime I think about Ice Fishin Bear Creek Res .. i get nightmares of fallin in .. happened 1st time in canoe .. do NOT want a repeat event

But are His hand holds legit? warm hands ... quickly make hand holds ?? clear ice would be an issue i think
Old 01-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaBigun
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogkatcher
Back in my days as a fire medic... I would call that job security...* .
HUH?? I dont get it
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

The more people thinking like that = more work for medics...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaBigun
The more people thinking like that = more work for medics...
GOTCHA ... very funny

Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

guess you had to be there...
Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

For what it's worth ... I've gone in twice in my life. Once at 11-Mile, once at Antero.

Antero was over Thanksgiving weekend, '93. I cracked through 2-3" ice over weeds in 3 feet of water. Ice was weak due to air bubbles from the weeds. No worry, but it screwed up my day. I pulled my Shappel over to me and climbed out using it as an anchor.

11-Mile was a little farther into the ice season and I was coming out in the dark in '92 and crashed through a soft spot near a pressure ridge -- between Goose and North Shore. Didn't know what the hazards with a pressure ridge were at the time, and just hit a soft spot where snow had blown in over the top and the ice hadn't reset. Was carrying a hand auger, which acted as a crossbar over the slush hole I went into. It was a little more freaky cause I knew I was over deep water.

Neither time did I break through where my arms were under water. I can say that both times my garments were frozen solid by the time I got back to my truck. The most scary part for both occassions were trying to get the keys out of my pockets that were frozen shut. Try getting frozen boards off your body so you can get warm in a truck is a challenge.

The only thing I do differently today is 1) I drag a rope that's connected to something, 2) I have my sled close by to use as a leverage device. When the ice gets this thick, I don't worry a whole lot so long as I use my brain to ensure I'm not walking near unsafe areas (pressure ridges, creek channels, bad ice from weeds ... Spring is the worst time for me cause the "shard ice" is so unpredictable and can leave you on an ice island during the course of a warming day.

I remember in '94 seeing pressure ridges in late February/early March that would open up into a watery crevass and you had to walk a couple hundred yards to find the safe crossing point. I believe these to be the worse enemy of typical ice anglers.

Jeff

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all of his money on tackle, teach his children to be responsible conservationists, and most likely have a huge honey-do list at the end of the day."
ColoAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in