Final Thoughts on the Otter XT Cabin - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2015, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Final Thoughts on the Otter XT Cabin

Some final thoughts on the Otter XT Cabin for those who are thinking about a two man flip over style ice hut.

While the weight is slightly heavier than most flip overs (96 lbs). The quality of materials used in the poles, zippers, tent and sled are very nice. The bench seat seats two large men very comfortably with plenty of elbow room but consumes about 35 lbs of the 96lb weight.

Solution= remove seat that secures with two bolts for those trips that require moving around a lot and throw in a folding chair or bucket to sit on as their is ample fishing space (22 sq ft) without sitting in the sled.

Setting the hut up took less than five minutes including a minute or so tossing some snow around the flaps to help black it out and secure it should the wind come up. Their wind support poles made the tent very tight and will definitely keep the hut stable in the most windy of conditions. Once set up there was plenty of space to store gear behind and under the flip up bench seat. You can easily drill four holes for fishing, two holes for electronics or cameras and still have room to get in and out of the tent without stepping in a hole.

While I wasn't exactly looking for an insulated hut; the added warmth was such a bonus in subzero to single digit temps I don't think I'll even need to carry along a heater.

A Smitty Sled will aid in pulling it through the snow and reduce the weight will pulling. So, for me I will add one of those before the next trip.

The only complaint I have about this product isn't even worth mentioning to the manufacturer. The cheap self-tapping screws they supplied for securing the support poles together can be replaced for less than $2 at a local hardware store.

While I am not as enthusiastic about ice-fishing as I am soft-water fishing this $650 investment will last me for a long time and I would consider buying an XT Hideout for those solo trips should I get more into it in the next few years.

Happy New Year's to all!!!

Ninja
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good review sir.

Thank you.
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

So insulated you'll never need a heater? Sounds awesome
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in