broken rod - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default broken rod

I almost had a great fishing trip yesterday. got out with some minnows dropped them down, watched my poles, one got a hit so I went over, set the hook, and proceeded to battle a very pretty 2 lb trout until I got him up on the ice* (bloody). so I go back with my poles all set up.... I was about 10 feet away, all the sudden while I was looking at my pole, it just made one big solid jerk all the way to the ice , over twice as far as the last one. I go running and snatch it up..... I didn't feel him at first...* so I clear the slush and see my line almost sideways, he must have it... so I set the hook with everything I've got(apparently) and the freaking cheap pole snaps in half. ok so i'm trying to battle a fish with a rod that's about to separate into 2 pieces in the middle, I'm holding the rod pointing down at the hole trying to battle him with the reel only.... I actually get him all the way up and the line got cut on the edge of the hole just as I see the pretty glow of I believe a walleye flash by...... I couldn't guide my line with the end of my pole and it just got nicked on the edge of the hole when I was barely pulling ( I actually thought he just came unhooked).... pretty devastating.....not sure I could have done anything... pretty un-satisfying sitting on the ice with a busted fishing pole* and nothing for it,* * Id say the fish won that battle.....

So anyway has this happened to others? never happened to me, I haven't even heard of it..... It was a cheap ice fishing pole, I guess too cheap.....
So moral of story, spend more then $3.50 a fishing pole, like I said I've never heard of this and I tested the pole with my hands, it seemed to be fine...... maybe manufacturer defect?* If it was expensive Id try to get it replaced maybe.... It seemed a little stiffer then the other brands, but not too stiff like one they sell (like a broom handle)

or an even better moral that I learned.... Is to always prepare for jaws... or that one big one you'll get, I have a bad habit of using 4 lb test and light gear to get more hits..... I went and picked up some thicker line and spooled up.....
milehighdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: broken rod

Man thats a bummer, I hate never knowing what kind of fish just broke my line, straightened my hook or whatever. I still wonder about some of the fish I've lost.

It could be a defective rod.. I've never broke an ice rod, but last summer I had 16" bow break a browning midas ultra light the first day out with it. I think that one must have been defective, but just in case I went with a different brand.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

spend the money on a good st croix or get one of the old lightning rods, the ones you have to tape the reel to, and you'll never have another rod problem. they are under $30 bucks and worth every penny.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

That sucks to hear but at least you have a good story to tell.
nhurianek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

sounds like the huge brown i caught, 6lb line snapped at hole ... big gold belly too, probbly a lazy 25 incher .. maybe ... turned sideways & snap!

in your case, i woulda had my arms down the hole way before it got away. now i always wear rubber palmed gloves so snathing fish is easy .. learned that last weekend at GM .. that was a nice koke, some good eatins ... luckily he gave me the idea .. he swam to top of hole right as i said "SH>>!!"* then I nabbed that dude up quick!!!!

i was so happy holding it like a trophy .. the others laughed good at that one
dogkatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

You proved it to yourself....... NEVER, NEVER! be LAZY in your approach to fishing.... or get cheap about it. You never know when the BIG one is coming.... Use good line... and change it at least twice a year or more.... tie good knots.... and re-tie after every 3 or 4 fish. Take care of your rods.... and guides on those rods, and.... your reels. AND set yor drag before you hook MR. BIG.

JIMI R.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in