What would you do? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What would you do?

Ok. This is a two part question. I purchased a Clam BigfootXL4000T. Received it with ( 2) 3/4 in. holes near hub bolt. and 2 in. section of zipper not closing without force Clam will send me a new one only if I cut all logos off shelter including model logos and 6 in of each zipper pull. It will be hard to cut a hut up for such small problems.But I will do. The benefit I guess would be extra stakes, bag. hubs and poles and extra material. OR I can send it back for credit and purchase a otter lodge or fatfish949i for less. I know and have read all about each. I like otter but the hub is new and I have heard about zipper problems. Anyone have experience in the otter new hubs and or their warranty program? I like Eskimo also due to blackout and window layout. which both of these models have removable windows. What would you do? Thanks.

A Fisherman is: "A Jerk on one end waiting for a Jerk on the other. "
fishking007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Doesn't anyone have any advice?

Old 03-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
P I K E

I own a lot of Clam products like 2 Clam ice suits, gloves hats and such but no huts but have not had any problems with what I do own of theirs. I do know a lot of people that swear by them and a couple sponsored by them and they also swear by them. I myself have 2 Eskimos, a FatOne and the Quick flip 3 and they both are great for what I need. If you don't feel comfortable trying another one of their product I would for sure get the refund and check out the others. If you are in the Denver area you might stop by the Eagle Claw Factory store and check out the Shappell Ice Huts they have there, I know they are having a big sale on them. Good luck on your choice!!!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I appreciate your reply. I to own Clam products.Yukon, Rod locker, jig boxes. Clam auger, and the original Clam hut. drill plate. I agree their product are good, just surprised they would have me destroy a hut so I could not use, sell or give away. I would think they would want me to so their equipment could br exposed to others? I no longer live in Denver after 25 years but have used this site many times for various info.I wish I had access to check out other huts. I was wanting to know more about the new otter hut and if zipper problems have issues still and if the black coating on the Eskimos still crack?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
P I K E

On my Eskimo Fat One I can tell you I haven't seen any problems with the black, but then it is the insulated interior.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had the 767i but found it smaller than I wished looking at the fatfish 949 i, having problems finding one now. I like the window locations ,anchors, window removal, etc. curios though how the 300 denier stands up against the 600?

Old 03-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had good luck with my clam stuff.. I'd cut that stuff up and send it...
Old 03-31-2016, 05:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Otters are built like brick shithouses...had the pleasure of fishing in a 2 man flipover this winter and looking at them at Cabelas...cut the thing up and get credit or a new one...its what you have to do...
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

I love my otter. I'll be taking my grand kids fishing in it. I have a couple clams. They sacrifice sturdyness for light weight. The otter has no sacrafices there for ways a ton! My otter is an older flip hut.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for your advice and support. I believe I will be cutting it up, though hard to do for such small blemishes. at least I will have spare anchors , although junk compared to eskimo anchors. I'll also have spare carry bag, poles , straps and hubs.

Tags
clam, eskimo, hub shelter, otter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in