Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Ice Fishing (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Strike Master Fuel Leak (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145546)

checkers8 01-06-2017 12:07 PM

Strike Master Fuel Leak

Okay gents. Last night I noticed fuel leaking out of the carb on my Mag III. I have two of them and have never had an issue with the first one I purchased over 20 years ago.

Consequently, the newer one is the one that is leaking. I recently replaced the rope and filled it with fuel during the holidays to crank it up. Started with no issues. I even started it on multiple days to ensure it is running fine before my next ice adventure. It wasn't leaking during warmer weather.

Last night I went out to start it in the garage and smelled fuel. Upon further inspection I could see it was wet near the carb body and idling screw. I observed for a while and noticed fuel would bead up and drop on the base.

Upon starting it will not leak and idle and rev up just fine.:confused:

Anyone else see or have this issue?

Been hemming on purchasing a battery operated auger, but do not want to pony up the money. Maybe it is a sign.

dallasdb 01-06-2017 01:18 PM

Upon starting it will or will not idle and rev up fine?

checkers8 01-06-2017 02:43 PM

It starts up and idles fine. No leaking while in operation.

It was only leaking when it was not operating.

TthePikester 01-06-2017 03:17 PM

Checkers, check the fuel lines to see if there are any cracks or came loose. Does that model have the primer pump on it and if so have you checked the connections there?

fishmanlee 01-06-2017 04:04 PM

Unless properly summarized, fuel lines and tanks will decay throughout the year. Run your auger dry with Sea Foam or Stabil after your last use every season. Remember to run it dry, if you have a primer bulb...even out of there. Replace all your fuel lines and tank and the auger should be fine.

slayerfish 01-07-2017 09:30 PM

It's simpler than a snowmobile-

Bronco 01-08-2017 09:19 AM

Fuel line has small leak check around clamps, primer bulbs do start to wear but that a easy one to see if its leaking.

ronco 01-08-2017 10:21 AM

If it's just leaking from carb, maybe carb needs to be rebuilt, not a hard job.

Zman 01-08-2017 10:57 AM

Sell it go electric...

checkers8 01-08-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slayerfish (Post 1899770)
It's simpler than a snowmobile-

LMAO........Ol' Slayerfish and his wit.

Okay so checked fuel lines and all look good and clamps are secure.

Left it stored for a few days with the screw on cap loose.

Just checked it now and no signs of fuel or leaks where previously seen. SMH

I'm thinking small crack in plastic nipple where fuel enters carb and requires pressure to force fuel thru crack.

This is based on seeing this with my older Mag III and the nipple dried out and cracked. Fixed this issue with super glue.

I will continue to observe and see what I find.

ZMAN I like your thinking, but just hate to pony up the $$$$.