Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Hummingbird 45

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  swampass 
#1 ·
This year I'm gonna step up my ice fishing game and get a flasher. I have gone back through the older posts on here and I see a lot of guys are die hard vexilar fans. I am wondering if anyone who has a Humminbird 45 could fill me in. I like that there is a digital depth display, the adjustable zoom and cone, and I have heard they are quieter than the vex. What are the down sides? Had any mechanical problems? What don't you like about it? Would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has one.

#3 · (Edited)
I'd suggest something like this:

About the same price and has the same features but it also has GPS.... I find GPS to be almost a necessity when ice fishing!! Not to mention if you have a boat or get one you can use the Lowrance on your boat as well(just have to purchase another transducer)

I use my HDS-5 on the same ice pack and love it!! I'll mark places in my boat that I wanna come back and try during ice season.

#4 ·
I have a Hummingbird Ice-35 and an Ice-55 and like them both. We run them both at the same time in the same hut and have very little interference. If we are more than about 10 feet apart no interference at all. Both units are very quiet, you don't even know they are on. I've had them both for 5 or so years and have had zero issues with them. Also the battery life is very goods as well.

#6 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. I didn't even think about GPS but that's a great idea. I have been storing the gps coordinates in my phone when I find a good spot but it's not super reliable. I would like something I could use on a boat too. At least twice a summer I wish I had one. JoeJ, thanks for the feed back. It's a big purchase so it's nice to hear you are happy with it.

#7 ·
In regards to flashers, the Vex cannot be beat. Why? First off they are extremely well built, can take a pounding year after year. My fl18 was dumped from the snowmobile at high speed numerous times and never quit working.

The display on a 45 bird is equal to a fl8 imo, not bright at all. Zooming in on the water column is cool, but you can always see fish throughout the column on a vex.

That being said, I've been using a hbird lcd 800 series the last two and really like it. GPS, maps, 2d sonar are awesome. The lcd going out after one trip being hauled in my pull sled sucked. 280$ repair, smh

Time and a place for all gadgets, really can't go wrong with any of today's equipment. If money isn't your determining factor, I'd go with a fl28 for flashers. On the lcd side, hbird 688?ice or any core series(8,9 or 1100) that you can convert to an ice machine with a ducer

#10 ·
In regards to flashers, the Vex cannot be beat. Why? First off they are extremely well built, can take a pounding year after year. My fl18 was dumped from the snowmobile at high speed numerous times and never quit working.

The display on a 45 bird is equal to a fl8 imo, not bright at all. Zooming in on the water column is cool, but you can always see fish throughout the column on a vex.
Yes, this. I have had my fl18 since 2005. I have beat the **** out of the thing and it is still going strong. One of my best purchases of all time IMO.

#8 ·
I've personally used both flasher and sonar for ice fishing, but I definitely prefer the flasher also. Maybe because I became use to the immediate return of the flasher? Just always felt the sonar was a half second behind what my vex was...after fishing under a HB 597 for about 8 trips, I got a FLX28. And I couldn't be happier, the display is super bright even when the sun is high, and the return is immediate. I feel its very beneficial when reading fishes moods and actions on a given day. When a fish noses down on something I wanna be ready right when it happens, a lot of bites you only 2-3 seconds to bury a hook.

#9 ·
Interesting info, BS (such appropriate initials).... I too use both and I go back and forth. When fishing significant structure, the flasher is preferred but flatter bottoms or slight breaks I prefer the sonar. I turn up the frequency and slow down the chart speed and I can see fish behavior so well. I can also see how they react to the different jigging motions. This is especially helpful when fish aren't on the feedbag.

I must make this disclaimer, BS is a much better ice fisherman than I am, so there's that.

#11 ·
See I am torn between the FL-18 and the Ice 45. In pricing it out it seems like I get a few more features for comparable price with Ice 45. But I know vex has a great reputation. I'm struggling between the two and wanted to know if there are some flaws in the Ice 45 that the vex doesn't have. It does seem like they are bothe pretty good machines. I can't believe how pumped I am about ice fishing and it's only September 1.

#13 ·
If your stuck on Vex, the FL-18 is the one to get. My personal favorite is still my Humminbird Ice 45, it's very quiet compared to the other mechanical flashers on the market. The more stealthy you are will increase the quality and quantities of your catch when chasing educated fish. I'm not sure if the vibration from the wheel or the ping from the transducer cause the fish to spook, but I know from decades of chasing them it's definitely a factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.