Hummingbird 45 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hummingbird 45

This year I'm gonna step up my ice fishing game and get a flasher. I have gone back through the older posts on here and I see a lot of guys are die hard vexilar fans. I am wondering if anyone who has a Humminbird 45 could fill me in. I like that there is a digital depth display, the adjustable zoom and cone, and I have heard they are quieter than the vex. What are the down sides? Had any mechanical problems? What don't you like about it? Would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has one.
Santiago84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Everyone I know who owns the hummers absolutely loves em. Their display is nice for sure.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd suggest something like this:

About the same price and has the same features but it also has GPS.... I find GPS to be almost a necessity when ice fishing!! Not to mention if you have a boat or get one you can use the Lowrance on your boat as well(just have to purchase another transducer)

I use my HDS-5 on the same ice pack and love it!! I'll mark places in my boat that I wanna come back and try during ice season.

Last edited by rvinson; 08-31-2017 at 01:47 PM.
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Hummingbird Ice-35 and an Ice-55 and like them both. We run them both at the same time in the same hut and have very little interference. If we are more than about 10 feet apart no interference at all. Both units are very quiet, you don't even know they are on. I've had them both for 5 or so years and have had zero issues with them. Also the battery life is very goods as well.
joej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson View Post
I'd suggest something like this:

About the same price and has the same features but it also has GPS.... I find GPS to be almost a necessity when ice fishing!! Not to mention if you have a boat or get one you can use the Lowrance on your boat as well(just have to purchase another transducer)

I use my HDS-5 on the same ice pack and love it!! I'll mark places in my boat that I wanna come back and try during ice season.

Seen a few cats use that. It's pretty badarse
DoctorDooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the insight guys. I didn't even think about GPS but that's a great idea. I have been storing the gps coordinates in my phone when I find a good spot but it's not super reliable. I would like something I could use on a boat too. At least twice a summer I wish I had one. JoeJ, thanks for the feed back. It's a big purchase so it's nice to hear you are happy with it.
Santiago84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

In regards to flashers, the Vex cannot be beat. Why? First off they are extremely well built, can take a pounding year after year. My fl18 was dumped from the snowmobile at high speed numerous times and never quit working.

The display on a 45 bird is equal to a fl8 imo, not bright at all. Zooming in on the water column is cool, but you can always see fish throughout the column on a vex.

That being said, I've been using a hbird lcd 800 series the last two and really like it. GPS, maps, 2d sonar are awesome. The lcd going out after one trip being hauled in my pull sled sucked. 280$ repair, smh

Time and a place for all gadgets, really can't go wrong with any of today's equipment. If money isn't your determining factor, I'd go with a fl28 for flashers. On the lcd side, hbird 688?ice or any core series(8,9 or 1100) that you can convert to an ice machine with a ducer
Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've personally used both flasher and sonar for ice fishing, but I definitely prefer the flasher also. Maybe because I became use to the immediate return of the flasher? Just always felt the sonar was a half second behind what my vex was...after fishing under a HB 597 for about 8 trips, I got a FLX28. And I couldn't be happier, the display is super bright even when the sun is high, and the return is immediate. I feel its very beneficial when reading fishes moods and actions on a given day. When a fish noses down on something I wanna be ready right when it happens, a lot of bites you only 2-3 seconds to bury a hook.
Biggie Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Interesting info, BS (such appropriate initials).... I too use both and I go back and forth. When fishing significant structure, the flasher is preferred but flatter bottoms or slight breaks I prefer the sonar. I turn up the frequency and slow down the chart speed and I can see fish behavior so well. I can also see how they react to the different jigging motions. This is especially helpful when fish aren't on the feedbag.

I must make this disclaimer, BS is a much better ice fisherman than I am, so there's that.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
In regards to flashers, the Vex cannot be beat. Why? First off they are extremely well built, can take a pounding year after year. My fl18 was dumped from the snowmobile at high speed numerous times and never quit working.

The display on a 45 bird is equal to a fl8 imo, not bright at all. Zooming in on the water column is cool, but you can always see fish throughout the column on a vex.
Yes, this. I have had my fl18 since 2005. I have beat the shit out of the thing and it is still going strong. One of my best purchases of all time IMO.
troutbiscuits is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in