How old should kids be to enjoy Ice Fishing? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How old should kids be to enjoy Ice Fishing?

I am curious what age people think is a good age to take a kid ice fishing? My son will be turning 4 in February and he already likes to fish with me. I am getting stoked for this upcoming season and am thinking about taking him for his first time. I also feel like ice fishing is much more of a commitment than the metro pond fishing I have done with him so far, and could be pushing it for a 4 year old.
troutbiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Four should work as long as it is a nice day, you catch a few fish and you don't stay to long.
Pathway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Four is definitely not too young! Ice fishing, to my chagrin, is really the only kind of fishing my boy has ever liked. I think he was 2 the first time I took him. An ice fishing shelter and heater is a BIG plus when you take a young kid. Especially when they're not paying attention and step into a hole. Extra socks, pants, etc. are good to have along.
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I took my son starting at 3 years old...and he loved it from the beginning. Be careful because they will fall in holes... bring a change of clothes for that reason. Take a sled and prepare to drag the kid in the sled more than you fish!!!

I recommend finding a place that has a little hill so you can let the kid(s) sled on the hill whilst you fish! My wife doesn't care to fish all that much but loves going ice fishing because we always make it about messing around more than fishing. Playing in the snow is a blast.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearnin-fer Naknek View Post
Four is definitely not too young! Ice fishing, to my chagrin, is really the only kind of fishing my boy has ever liked. I think he was 2 the first time I took him. An ice fishing shelter and heater is a BIG plus when you take a young kid. Especially when they're not paying attention and step into a hole. Extra socks, pants, etc. are good to have along.
I agree. A kid that old is going to be running around on the ice and if you don't have extra clothes and boots your trip is going to be cut short when he steps in a fresh hole and gets wet. Seen it.
kastmisser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been taking my kids ice fishing since they were infants. My wife and I would bundle them up and carry them around in the little front pack. Then they graduated to the backpack. Then it was onto moving around the area we would be fishing. Agreed 100% on change of clothes. Kids will fall in holes. The oldest would cover them with ice and snow then call little brother over. Happened more than once. LOL Then the kids would get old enough to wonder around the lake and find good hills to sled down, or even spend quality time fishing. Believe it or not, there is plenty to keep them busy. Buckets of snow make good castles. I would consider taking them to places that are easy access. Dillon, Green Mountain, Red Feather Lakes, Evergreen and so on. I would avoid tough access areas and rough condition ares like Blue Mesa, Taylor, Granby, Chambers Lake and so on. If you can, bring a heater. That will increase your fishing time almost double. Good luck and have fun.
baetisrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the advice! Definitely going to have a Shanty and extra clothes!!
troutbiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I started taking my boy when he was three. He enjoyed himself to a point. As long as the fish were being caught, he was good. Also, lots of snacks and bring him his own pole. Hot chocolate was also a good thing.

Plan a short trip for the first time just in case. You don't want it to be a negative experience the first time he's out on the ice.

Best of luck!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll agree with everyone else... Take the kid fishing!!

But ill also agree that kids step in the hole quite often.... Both of my boys stepped in a hole on their first trip ever ice fishing. Luckily I bring extra clothes and the weather was nice as well but be prepared to leave early if need be!! My guess is if you force a kid to sit and be wet and/or cold they will not want to go again next time!!

Also keep in mind that ice fishing(or even fishing in general) is not for everyone. My older son loves to go ice fishing while my younger son hates it!! Seems weird since my younger son is the one who never gets cold and wants to wear shorts all the time! :/
Old 10-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

troutbiscuits, no one here knows your boy better than you do and how much he can tolerate on any given day with the protection to the elements you provide him. There's nothing better to bond with your son than a good day fishing. I still remember going ice fishing with my dad and as we were walking back to shore he stepped into a snow covered hole with one leg (I was walking behind him) he turned around and looked at me and I thought he was going to be mad but he started laughing and so did I. We still laugh about it to this day....Think I was about in 1st grade.

Last edited by Cosfisher; 10-06-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Cosfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in