Ion 40v Auger, Yay or Nay - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ion 40v Auger, Yay or Nay

So I have a an old Strikemaster Magnum III, 49cc with a Tecumseh motor, which is still running, but I have been limping it along for years. When I bought it, it was older than I was, and now it is practically a relic. Classics are sometimes the best quality, but she is much past her prime. I keep it around because it works and I can't see buying new tools when the old ones still work.

To be honest, I am tired of fiddling with it all winter long. In sub-freezing temps it likes to stall and the throttle sticks. I replace fuel lines and o rings every year, and every year it still leaks.

Long story short, Its time to put the old girl out to pasture. I am considering the Ion 40V w/8" auger. Any thoughts on yay or nay?
deadzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the ION and absolutely love it. I had an old Eskimo auger that was a pain in the butt to get running in winter. I had it worked on several times but it still was a pain to start (if it started). After driving 60 miles to get to Blue Mesa from Montrose and then not having the auger start was the final straw. Gave it to a shop owner to do with whatever he wanted. Went and bought the Ion and haven't looked back. Two winters with no problems at all and I don't expect any issues this winter either. No gas makes hauling the auger inside the truck nice also. Haven't heard of anyone else having issues with the Ion either.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've had my ION 8" for a few seasons now and absolutely love it! Last season I added the attachment to do my hut anchors; it's a great addition because now I don't bring my electric drill for the anchors. I went from a hand auger to the ION. I thought about gas and propane but then I rented the ION about 5 years ago and was super impressed.

One thing if you fish very cold temps keep the battery in a lunch bag with a hand warmer. Other than that you should be golden.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great! Thanks for the info. I sold my truck last year and now have an SUV and don't want oil/gas leaks, or spilling and hauling gas inside the cab. I think I'll pick one up. They are sold out most places now, but Amazon has them on Prime right now. Still a few month out, But I really need to upgrade before the season starts.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

You won't regret buying the Ion. And hauling it inside the truck or car for that matter is nice as you keep the battery warm and avoid any spillage. Nice not having to worry about the gas and oil mixture screwing up the carb as well. I don't wonder all over the lake so weight isn't an issue and the Ion is relatively light anyway. Neither do I drill a gazillion holes but I have never had the Ion battery run down to the point I thought I should buy a second battery. Perhaps others who wander from hole to hole or drill the lake into swiss cheese may have different experience to share. For me the Ion is perfect.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
Great! Thanks for the info. I sold my truck last year and now have an SUV and don't want oil/gas leaks, or spilling and hauling gas inside the cab. I think I'll pick one up. They are sold out most places now, but Amazon has them on Prime right now. Still a few month out, But I really need to upgrade before the season starts.
Yep that's why I bought an ION a few years back. A leaky gas auger in a 4Runner sucks!
I've never regretted buying it. The only time I've fired up the gasser since then was to sell it.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

All good info. Thanks for sharing everyone. Its always good to hear people's real-world experiences. Even if battery pack replacement is necessary every few years, battery technology is only getting better by the day, and just knowing that it will cut holes no matter the temp and not having to mess with cold starting is good enough for me. The zero maintenance, no mess, zero emissions, quiet operation, light weight, and reverse option are all good reasons for me to pick one up. Since I need a new auger anyway, might as well give it a try. Thanks for everyone input!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've had an ION since they first came out. Nice setup but IMO the blades suck. I actually had one just break in half, just cutting ice.

I posted on the other thread, but I pickup a Kdrill/Milwakee setup last year and IMO it's way better than the ION. I never did like the safety button on the ION and this setup drills better than it also. You will also need an extra battery for the ION (at least we did even keeping the batteries warm). Those are $150.

http://kdrillauger.com/products.html

I went with the 8" auger.
swampass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

I like the drill setup because I can and do use my M-18 all freekin year. So for those of us that actually work on/ fix things its a no-brainer.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

I like to see you haul the Ion Auger into Jism Lake with Slayer to his favorite spot and tell us how you like the Ion after that.
lovetofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in