Blue Mesa has ice - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blue Mesa has ice

Went up yesterday to get my initial ice fishing in for this year. Ice is 9 to 10 inches thick up to Lake City Bridge. After that it is all open water. Actually saw a boat out in Sapinaro Basin on my way home to Montrose. Anyway, there were several folks out on the ice with mixed results. Fellow next to me was having great success while the rest of us had a slow day. Did manage one 14 inch brown (skinny) along with several other bites. Used mealies and wax worms on small jigs.

No snow at all on the ground so you have to drag your sled down the dirt path till you can get on the ice. Absolutely no snow on the ice so it was a virtual skating rink. Not bad getting on the lake but getting off was another issue. Like trying to climb up the sides of a bowl. Wish I would have had some ice spikes or something to prevent the one step up two slides back attempt at getting myself and the sled up to the dirt. Obviously I made it as I am here to make a report but it took some doing.....found a crack in the ice and inched my way up till I could jump to the dirt to get sound footing. Temps were not bad....mostly mid 20's to mid 30's for the day.

Last edited by Pilotfly; 12-20-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in