fish in a barrel dog food - Page 2 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wow... who cares... they are trout.. from Georgetown... probably taste like dog food anyway. Sounds like littlemac loves his doggo. My dog loves when she gets some fish for dinner. It is like a special treat for her.
troutbiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

You know a post is going to be good when it starts with "While I am not a lawyer..."
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
You know a post is going to be good when it starts with "While I am not a lawyer..."
Not a fan of Facebook, but if I were..... I'd give this one a like.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotfly View Post
Not a fan of Facebook, but if I were..... I'd give this one a like.
LoL... kinda like "hold my beer and watch this".
Don't give 2 squirts about trout and love dogs. Just trying to point out to "Mr. sportsman" that he may be incriminating himself on a public forum... anyway, carry on!
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
LoL... kinda like "hold my beer and watch this".
Don't give 2 squirts about trout and love dogs. Just trying to point out to "Mr. sportsman" that he may be incriminating himself on a public forum... anyway, carry on!
Where's the law stated on preparing edible parts of fish for human consumption? I'm very familiar with the requirements for big game but I don't see the same in the fishing regs but maybe I'm missing it. Where did you read it before you made your initial post (internet lawyer due diligence...)
fishslap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslap View Post
Where's the law stated on preparing edible parts of fish for human consumption? I'm very familiar with the requirements for big game but I don't see the same in the fishing regs but maybe I'm missing it. Where did you read it before you made your initial post (internet lawyer due diligence...)
Okay, this one is getting interesting. Here in Montrose we have the Kinikin processing plant that processes quite a few deer, elk, and who knows what else. In their store they offer packaged elk, deer and a fruit(elk or deer) meat specifically for dogs. I use it because it is a good additive for my two goldens who tend to be a bit on the chubby side. I can cut out some of the packaged dog food and mix in enough of the Kinikin meat packages to make the food healthier for the pups.

Am I or Kinikin going to jail?? j/k
Old 12-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Here you go... give them a call. I'm sure they would be happy to come on here to see what we are discussing and provide answers to all of your questions... and perhaps a citation or two.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Headquarters

1313 Sherman Street, 6th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
303-297-1192​ (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST, except state holiday​​s)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
Here you go... give them a call. I'm sure they would be happy to come on here to see what we are discussing and provide answers to all of your questions... and perhaps a citation or two.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Headquarters

1313 Sherman Street, 6th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
303-297-1192​ (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST, except state holiday​​s)
No need to call. I am good friends with one of the Colorado Fisheries biologists. He lives here in Montrose and if he thought Kinikin was doing something illegal he would have shut them down years ago. Can't speak for him right now but next time I see him I will ask him about using trout to feed the pups - cats - hamsters - chameleons - or whatever!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

I know you can't use game fish for bait. Don't see why you could catch/keep them to solely use as dog food when you can't use them for fish food.
The butcher shop probably uses what are considered to be inedible scraps for their dog food. But hey, no skin off my ass. I didn't admit using game fish for dog food on a public forum... again, carry on! lol
Old 12-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Called the number.

Pressed 3.

Stated the concerns posted on this forum.

Action, if applicable, forthcoming.

For what it is worth, I do not see an issue here. Not really sure feeding big game meat to a family dog is illegal either. The wanton waste laws, from my interpretation, are intended to ensure that the meat is not left in the field.

And just in case anyone needs an experienced hunting attorney after this escapade, The Law Office of Nathaniel Gilbert will provide a 100% free consultation on your rights as an outdoorsman.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in