Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Ice Fishing (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   fish in a barrel dog food (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160789)

littlemac 12-02-2018 03:04 PM

fish in a barrel dog food
 
started the ice fishing season today at Georgetown, like the topic said it was pretty easy fishing caught probably fifty between three of us .pretty much fifty fifty on browns and rainbows. most were caught in the ten fow range a few in fifteen .use micro jigs with wax worms and mealies. also like the topic said brought some home to make dog food.ice were we were was six inches there was an area out in front of bridge with verry thin ice.

slayerfish 12-02-2018 04:33 PM

Minnows?

littlemac 12-02-2018 05:20 PM

absolutely, what else is there

ghostman 12-02-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemac (Post 2073489)
also like the topic said brought some home to make dog food.

I hope you are not actually doing this.

littlemac 12-02-2018 06:04 PM

oh yes I absolutely am ,is there a problem with that

ghostman 12-02-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemac (Post 2073499)
oh yes I absolutely am ,is there a problem with that

While I'm not a lawyer, a case could certainly be made for wanton waste of a game animal, and/or poaching, if said game animal was not used for human consumption but rather taken for personal gain... ie; to save you a few bucks on dog food at the expense of the state... ie; me and every other citizen that pays for them to be purchased and stocked. No better than a poacher IMHO. I would think that a man of your high moral fiber would see that and be smart enough to not brag about it on a public forum.

littlemac 12-02-2018 07:12 PM

oh casper your more gullible then I ever thought go crawl back on your couch and leave us real sportsmen alone.

ghostman 12-02-2018 09:04 PM

Uh-huh... Mr. "real sportsmen"... smh.

littlemac 12-03-2018 05:17 AM

you should try it casper, instead of just commenting on everything try getting your self off your couch and actually go outside and do something. I dont know maybe learn to fish or hunt or even just take a hike.and by the way the dog just loved her dinner

slayerfish 12-03-2018 08:39 AM

Pretty sure the dog is considered family. Personal consumption.

troutbiscuits 12-03-2018 09:09 AM

Wow... who cares... they are trout.. from Georgetown... probably taste like dog food anyway. Sounds like littlemac loves his doggo. My dog loves when she gets some fish for dinner. It is like a special treat for her.

Dakota 12-03-2018 10:23 AM

You know a post is going to be good when it starts with "While I am not a lawyer..."

Pilotfly 12-03-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 2073513)
You know a post is going to be good when it starts with "While I am not a lawyer..."

Not a fan of Facebook, but if I were..... I'd give this one a like. :smile:

ghostman 12-03-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilotfly (Post 2073515)
Not a fan of Facebook, but if I were..... I'd give this one a like. :smile:

LoL... kinda like "hold my beer and watch this".
Don't give 2 squirts about trout and love dogs. Just trying to point out to "Mr. sportsman" that he may be incriminating himself on a public forum... anyway, carry on!

fishslap 12-03-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostman (Post 2073521)
LoL... kinda like "hold my beer and watch this".
Don't give 2 squirts about trout and love dogs. Just trying to point out to "Mr. sportsman" that he may be incriminating himself on a public forum... anyway, carry on!

Where's the law stated on preparing edible parts of fish for human consumption? I'm very familiar with the requirements for big game but I don't see the same in the fishing regs but maybe I'm missing it. Where did you read it before you made your initial post (internet lawyer due diligence...)

Pilotfly 12-03-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishslap (Post 2073533)
Where's the law stated on preparing edible parts of fish for human consumption? I'm very familiar with the requirements for big game but I don't see the same in the fishing regs but maybe I'm missing it. Where did you read it before you made your initial post (internet lawyer due diligence...)

Okay, this one is getting interesting. Here in Montrose we have the Kinikin processing plant that processes quite a few deer, elk, and who knows what else. In their store they offer packaged elk, deer and a fruit(elk or deer) meat specifically for dogs. I use it because it is a good additive for my two goldens who tend to be a bit on the chubby side. I can cut out some of the packaged dog food and mix in enough of the Kinikin meat packages to make the food healthier for the pups.

Am I or Kinikin going to jail?? j/k

ghostman 12-03-2018 01:11 PM

Here you go... give them a call. I'm sure they would be happy to come on here to see what we are discussing and provide answers to all of your questions... and perhaps a citation or two.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Headquarters

1313 Sherman Street, 6th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
303-297-1192​ (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST, except state holiday​​s)

Pilotfly 12-03-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostman (Post 2073537)
Here you go... give them a call. I'm sure they would be happy to come on here to see what we are discussing and provide answers to all of your questions... and perhaps a citation or two.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Headquarters

1313 Sherman Street, 6th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
303-297-1192​ (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST, except state holiday​​s)

No need to call. I am good friends with one of the Colorado Fisheries biologists. He lives here in Montrose and if he thought Kinikin was doing something illegal he would have shut them down years ago. Can't speak for him right now but next time I see him I will ask him about using trout to feed the pups - cats - hamsters - chameleons - or whatever!

ghostman 12-03-2018 01:26 PM

I know you can't use game fish for bait. Don't see why you could catch/keep them to solely use as dog food when you can't use them for fish food.
The butcher shop probably uses what are considered to be inedible scraps for their dog food. But hey, no skin off my ass. I didn't admit using game fish for dog food on a public forum... again, carry on! lol

waterfowler 12-03-2018 02:02 PM

Called the number.

Pressed 3.

Stated the concerns posted on this forum.

Action, if applicable, forthcoming.


For what it is worth, I do not see an issue here. Not really sure feeding big game meat to a family dog is illegal either. The wanton waste laws, from my interpretation, are intended to ensure that the meat is not left in the field.

And just in case anyone needs an experienced hunting attorney after this escapade, The Law Office of Nathaniel Gilbert will provide a 100% free consultation on your rights as an outdoorsman.

waterfowler 12-03-2018 02:15 PM

And you can use fish you catch as bait in Colorado, so long as it is in the same body of water where the "bait" was caught and that bait is allowed in said lake. Additional limitations as well. Refer to section 4 under Special Conditions and Restrictions:

e. The only species allowed to be taken and used for personal use as bait
(either alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are
minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin,
white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide
bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow perch.

ghostman 12-03-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfowler (Post 2073545)
And you can use fish you catch as bait in Colorado, so long as it is in the same body of water where the "bait" was caught and that bait is allowed in said lake. Additional limitations as well. Refer to section 4 under Special Conditions and Restrictions:

e. The only species allowed to be taken and used for personal use as bait
(either alive or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are
minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin,
white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide
bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow perch.

I didn't say that "fish" were illegal to use as bait, I said game fish.

waterfowler 12-03-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostman (Post 2073547)
I didn't say that "fish" were illegal to use as bait, I said game fish.

I wasn't posting this for you.

Dakota 12-03-2018 02:27 PM

This question fascinated me. It looks like you have to reasonably attempt to prepare for human consumption any edible parts of wildlife you take (though I'm sure there is some discretion here when enforcing this law). The definition of "wildlife" includes fish.

C.R.S. 33-6-119

(2) Except as otherwise provided in articles 1 to 6 of this title or by rule of the commission, it is unlawful for a person to fail to reasonably attempt to dress or care for and provide for human consumption the edible portions of game wildlife. A person who violates this subsection (2) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall, with respect to big game, be punished by a fine of three hundred dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points or shall, with respect to all other game wildlife, be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars and an assessment of ten license suspension points.

I'm interested in seeing what the CPW says. I know its not uncommon for people to make dog treats out of all sorts of wild game.

ghostman 12-03-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfowler (Post 2073549)
I wasn't posting this for you.

Sorry, seems that everyone else was taking shots I thought you were too.
I just wanted to point out to "Mr. sportsman" (and anyone else doing this) that he should maybe not do this and certainly not post it up. Deserves what he gets as far as I'm concerned at this stage.

waterfowler 12-03-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostman (Post 2073553)
Sorry, seems that everyone else was taking shots I thought you were too.
I just wanted to point out to "Mr. sportsman" (and anyone else doing this) that he should maybe not do this and certainly not post it up. Deserves what he gets as far as I'm concerned at this stage.

Only people taking shots are you and Littlemac, at each other. I am just trying to help my fellow sportsmen out with some fact based information as they may be coming to the forum to help learn something on the topic of wildlife use. And honestly, some good information is coming from this. Just wish we could refrain from the hostility.

ghostman 12-03-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfowler (Post 2073555)
Only people taking shots are you and Littlemac, at each other. I am just trying to help my fellow sportsmen out with some fact based information as they may be coming to the forum to help learn something on the topic of wildlife use. And honestly, some good information is coming from this. Just wish we could refrain from the hostility.

LOL... yeah, we don't like each other very much... aaaand, as for the rest, me too.

Pilotfly 12-03-2018 04:32 PM

If I remember my history right didn't the Indians use some of the fish they caught as fertilizer when planting their crops? Perhaps the wildlife folks should go after them to! And bears... I understand grizzly bears often only eat certain parts of the salmon they catch. Perhaps that needs looking into as well. ;D

littlemac 12-03-2018 05:56 PM

by the way I use the guts and bones in my garden so basically the whole fish is being used unlike most people, if anyone here needs to know casper is the ultimate lurker he's a senior member who has never ever posted about his fishing or hunting adventures he just sits on his couch and makes comments about what everyone else does. I even invited him out one Sunday but he was too busy watching his precious football, guess he knows a lot about that ,also from just watching.as far as I know I didnt poach I actually only took a couple, they were taken legally and really the moral of the story is one whole that should have been kick off the site years ago.

ghostman 12-03-2018 06:08 PM

You have no idea who I am, what I do, or how often I fish/hunt or post reports. Got any owl or bald eagle parts you wanna trade for some sucker guts to feed your doggy or garden... Mr. real sportsman?

littlemac 12-03-2018 06:13 PM

people can look for themselves, i did, nope no fishing or huntings reports by you never.just the ultimate lurker.its about time for you to go cry to Tony again and get me kicked off the site

ghostman 12-03-2018 06:18 PM

SMH... dude, you're pitiful. If you got kicked off I wouldn't have nearly as much entertainment here.

Bionic Man 12-03-2018 07:26 PM

These two are long time connoisseurs of fish. Here they are waiting to try some striped bass.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cd6b23f45c.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littlemac 12-03-2018 07:31 PM

careful Caspers lurking. nice looking friends

Bionic Man 12-03-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemac (Post 2073577)
careful Caspers lurking. nice looking friends



They like to watch football with me on the weekend. Except this weekend, when MOOSE and I will be chasing birds.......


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronco 12-04-2018 09:17 AM

Best topic this site has had in quit some time and its a debate about the legality of dogs eating fish ;D

catchnabuzz 12-04-2018 09:21 AM

My dog eats fish, elk, and deer! And he loves it! Hes cooler than most humans

Bronco 12-04-2018 10:02 AM

My dogs eat whatever hits the floor their dogs. Well except George he is kinda picky, he will lick the cheese off a Cheeto and spit out the puff part.

ghostman 12-04-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemac (Post 2073571)
...its about time for you to go cry to Tony again and get me kicked off the site

WTF are you talking about? I've never mentioned you to Tony at all... get over yourself, LoL

Dakota 12-04-2018 02:47 PM

Beautiful blue weim.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.