Ice Technique - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ice Technique

So, I was told about 9 years ago when I first got hooked on hard water fishing that the key landing bigger fish is to put your rod tip through the hole do the line does not rub on the and break.

Now I have used this technique with mixed results, actually more lost fish than landed. I see some logic to it but I also feel it does keep the same type of pressure on the hooked fish to actually land them.

I'm not quite sure on the ice breaking the line theory as i believe after angering the hole the water will actually smooth any sharp edges.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
Jasonrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Putting the rod in the hole always turns up the fun dial, lol.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Definitely don't want to anger the hole.
Yearnin-fer Naknek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Itís not an ice fishing technique Iím familiar with, and doesnít sound like something I would implement in my approach. Not saying it wonít work or help, but Iíve fished with many people I respect and look up to and watched many videos and canít say and Iíve seen it on purpose (maybe when the drag isnít set right and you do it until you get the drag reset)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

In my experience either one works. I have had 20 plus inch fish take my line and even heard the ping sound of my line against the ice edge and it didn't cut the line, these lines are tough especially braid which I end up using, if you want the safest route i'd go with braid, but other than that, the best way to make sure you land a big one is not to give it any chance to break like rubbing against an ice edge so I would say angle your rod right when you let the tip go in the water.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Actually mono is more abrasive resistant than braid
Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Actually mono is more abrasive resistant than braid
Braid will quickly cut into the ice as well if the fish makes big runs. I still use it because hate stretch in my line when I set the hook ice fishing. Braid also holds a lot of water and will ice up really quickly. Nanofil is hardly abrasion resistant, but it won't hold water nearly as bad as braid if you're looking for an alternative.

I may put my tip in the hole if the fish makes a big run, but never a large portion of the rod. If you think about it, the tip of the rod has to get below the ice for it to make a difference, which can be difficult to do depending on where you're fishing and the time of the year. It does add some drama to the catch though!
Dakota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know why anyone would ever tell you to put any part of the rod in the hole. All you'd do is negate the entire purpose of fishing with a rod. You control the fish with the rod. The rod is there to take the shock off the line. The rod is there to apply resistance in order to tire the fish. It's kinda like a fish Bow flex. You have to be able to raise and lower the rod depending upon whether the fish is running up or down, away from you or towards you. It's an extension of your arms.

Why would you want to point the rod at the fish, relying only upon the strength of your line and your drag. And remember, that drag better be loose if you're shoving a rod down the hole. Wouldn't you rather use your drag, your line, the flex and power of your rod, along with your arms and hands while fighting a fish? And with the right weight rod, you can fish a tighter drag, and/or, a lighter test line, all to your advantage. And, I've never had a line break because of the ice hole. Worried about stretch, No problem. With mono up to thirty feet deep, you'll get a good hook set. Over thirty feet use fluorocarbon.

Here you can see a fish running up and down the water column during the fight. While playing the fish, you have to be able to adjust the position of the rod, using your hands and your arms. How are you going to do that with the rod down the hole? You've taken them out of the fight. And it's easy to see how important the power and flex of the rod is when fighting a fish. Once again I ask. Why would anyone want to stick a rod down the hole and rely on nothing but their line and their drag? And remember that slack in the line when the fish turns and runs towards you, it's much faster and easier to pick that slack up if you can move that rod.

Remember, that ping you hear when the line catches on the edge of the ice is nothing but music to your ears, letting you know that you have a nice fish on.

Poor video with the watermark, but you get the drift.

Last edited by hobiecat; 01-05-2019 at 12:23 AM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hobie's right can't remember ever breaking off by rubbing the edge of the ice.
I had to put the rod down the hole once while I drilled another hole to widen it when I couldn't get a fish through an 8"hole, lol.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
I had to put the rod down the hole once while I drilled another hole to widen it when I couldn't get a fish through an 8"hole, lol.

Now that right there might be the only reason to ever put a rod down the ice hole.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in