Marcum vs AquaVu - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Marcum vs AquaVu

Already looking forward for ice season and wanting a camera for this season’s adventures.

Does anyone have any personal experience on the Marcum or AquaVu models?
Pitbull44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

I used the original Aqua-view for years b4 I got a flasher. Lots of fun, learned a lot about fish behaviour. Larger walleyes and trout will wrap around the cable and grief will ensue.

Unless it's gin-clear water its a waste of time.

Also when its real cold and you move a lot the cable gets everything wet and then freezes. PITA.

That said, I may drag the old AV onto the ice this season!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've been using the same Marcum cam for 8 years. Works great when I use it (which is rarely).
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
I used the original Aqua-view for years b4 I got a flasher. Lots of fun, learned a lot about fish behaviour. Larger walleyes and trout will wrap around the cable and grief will ensue.

Unless it's gin-clear water its a waste of time.

Also when its real cold and you move a lot the cable gets everything wet and then freezes. PITA.

That said, I may drag the old AV onto the ice this season!
Thanks man - I appreciate the feedback. I fished with a buddy last year who brought the Marcum VS485C and liked it. I was able to see perch putting my bait in their mouth without even detecting a bite on my rod or flasher (marked the fish only). We were also inside my portable so there wasn’t a sun glare.

I hardly ever fish in my portable and mostly hole hop so outside screen visibility is one of the aspects I’m looking at. It seems like a lot of folks like Aqua Vu and they just came out with some new models/larger screens.

What would you say the max depth of water is you can use for your Aqua Vu assuming the water is clean?

Last edited by Pitbull44; 10-03-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I've been using the same Marcum cam for 8 years. Works great when I use it (which is rarely).
Thanks Dakota - I already own a flasher (Hummingbird ICE -55) and am really debating spending the extra money for the Marcum LX-9. I like to travel light and that way I wouldn’t have to lug around a flasher and a camera.

On that same note - I’ve heard nothing but great things about the Aqua Vu units and keep going back between the two.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I saw crawdads perfectly clear at Atown at 85 ft.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wouldn't get an Lx-9. I have an LX-7. Marcums flasher technology is getting blown out of the water by its competitors (not Vexilar). You should get something with flasher and GPS technology.

Your other option would be Garmin Livescope/Panoptix. If you can afford an LX-9 you can probably afford Garmin's technology. Those fishfinders are next level, and its definitely leaps and bounds above flasher technology. With livescope/panoptix, you may not even need a camera.

Just some thoughts.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
Lots of fun, learned a lot about fish behaviour.
I knew you were a Euro pedant posing as an American Joe!

I never had a camera. But some of my friends do. They can be useful sometime. Can be useful to see what species is actually down there. Might also be able to see that there's way more fish down there than you thought... they are all just hugging bottom and hard to see on the flasher... Just don't get too caught up playing with the camera. It's often better to move and find willing fish, then stay at the same spot because you just realized there are more fish than you previously thought.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't get the Marcum Lx-9. I never have liked the idea of buying anything that is two units in one. If the sonar part of the unit fails, you have a $1,300 camera that you are lugging around. I have one of the original AV and rarely use it. The only times I have been glad that I brought it is when I am fishing in brush or trees where my Vex doesn't work.
kastmisser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Back when my camera WAS my flasher. It's all I had. I was fishing this one fine day and had the camera down, I had only 3 perch at 2pm. Walked around a little, talked to a couple people, caught a Bow then went back to my camera. Had left a jigging rap down there and when I got back there was 20 perch staring at that rap. I proceeded to catch 23 more perch that afternoon watching every perch take in that rap on the camera each time I dropped it back down. It was a great time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in