Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Ice Fishing (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Most successful ice lures/jigs for trout? (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161883)

LostFedExMan 11-14-2019 06:00 PM

Most successful ice lures/jigs for trout?

Hey guys,

I'm going to whip up some flies for ice fishing. I want to start by sort of mimicking the current lures/jigs on the market that people tend to have success with here in Colorado. I have a few ideas in mind, but want to hear from you guys. (Calling Dr Cro, P.S. I enjoy your videos) :thumb:

So, what are your most successful ice fishing lures/jigs (and color combo) for trout?

I also want to tie some up for Lakers, so anything that you have confidence in for them I'd like to hear of as well. Obviously 3" white tube jig is on the menu...

Thanks for the help, appreciate any input.

Dr Cro 11-14-2019 06:39 PM

Well something that replicates a refinkee is one of my top choices for early ice at most places. Last year for example I ended up catching 2 large lakers, and some big brows as well as jumbo perch so I highly recommend that my second one is a pink tube 1.5 to 2 inches and lastly I like a swedish pimple.

Having these you're set for the year! Throw in a HD Ice in Bubble Gum and Ghost White and maybe a 4inch tube in pearl white for lakers!

LostFedExMan 11-14-2019 07:04 PM

Thank you for the quick response! I just finished watching your laker video from last Dec. I would not have guessed he came on a ratfinkee. I have a few but I'm still going to try and tie a similar fly. I also have a couple swedish pimples. Appreciate the info man

slayerfish 11-14-2019 08:10 PM

Chrome/orange kasty. If I could only have one trout lure that would be it.

waterlike 11-14-2019 08:56 PM

Vmc tungsten fly jig. Pink one. My most used but I do have all the colors

Dr Cro 11-15-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slayerfish (Post 2083859)

Agreed! Last year at the hippie hole. I ONLY used a gold kasty with a perch pattern and caught a 30 inch catfish, 18 inch walleyes, a ton of MA perch and even a random crappie!

kastmisser 11-15-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

I second that. Been my most productive lure and color for trout since I've
been fishing for them.

LostFedExMan 11-16-2019 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the replies. Had a little time to spin up a few tungsten jigs that I’ll try out this winter. Far left is something different I came up with. Middle-ish row is glow ratfinkee type jigs with heavy tungsten. Far right is a tungsten tube jig imitation. It was fun to tie something outside the norm. A kastmaster would be hard... Haha

Pitbull44 11-19-2019 06:42 PM

What size of kast master?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Cro (Post 2083889)
Quote:

Agreed! Last year at the hippie hole. I ONLY used a gold kasty with a perch pattern and caught a 30 inch catfish, 18 inch walleyes, a ton of MA perch and even a random crappie!

Dr Cro 11-19-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitbull44 (Post 2083941)
What size of kast master?

I'm not familiar with all the sizes but it is the smallest possible kastmaster you can buy at cabelas.