ICE ROD - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ICE ROD

So my Rhino Indestructable Carbor fiber glass -phite mix -whatever rod busted last week.
Rhino is a division of Zebco...I must be the only person older than 12 that still believes in Zebco products .

Anyway. Its a 5.5' er and I want to turn it into an ice rod...I may try my hand at Ice Fishingthis year-first time.

The end section is what broke off. maybe like 13" worth.
I could frankenstein the little piece with the thicker base pcs.
Or I could just saw it down to like 3'

I know nothing of ice fishing. I'd be targeting trout and perch for sure.
What would be the best thing to do to resurect and Zombify my dead rod.
Not against spending some serious shop time to do a killer job either.
Or I could hal-ass it

Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: ICE ROD

OOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSS

Admins!!! Please move to Off Topic.

...I must be spending way too much time on here...dam
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

This section works too.....Epic.
Thank you!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

ya my dad has about 3-5 home-made ice fishing poles... he cut down lightning rods I think, put a handle, then a piano wire strike indicator....

it works, but you can buy some at sportsman for $5(during ice fishing season), they might break, I had one break on me.
$3.50. broke it on the hook set at chatty, biggest fish all season(for chatty) pretty funny, I still got him to the hole, then he broke my line too* * but I did land a 5-6 pounder on one at 11 mile....

If you plan on using a shelter make them short enough. I use 24" I believe
otherwise 3'-4' would work fine im sure....
milehighdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I cut down the butt end on both ends, cut a short section from mid-rod and use it as a bushung over the tip end. Gorilla glue the whole works into the butt end. Works for me and I can use the $5 saved for baits. i can't believe I 'm even talkin ice, it seems like we just were planning spring trips.
JBnWaverly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

the only problem with using a cut down long pole is that the action of the poles is lost, sure it may catch fish but so will a stick with a piece of line tied to it. the good ice fishing poles are made to have a great action that works through out the whole length of the rod, as are the long open water poles, why would you just use half of a fishing pole. there are great ice poles out there for $20.(st croix, lightning rods) doesn't seem worth the time and effort to me. why don't you guys put up a post and ask jeff looney about building a rod with half of a big pole, since he builds custom rods, he can probably give you some insight to the rights and wrongs of it.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
the only problem with using a cut down long pole is that the action of the poles is lost, sure it may catch fish but so will a stick with a piece of line tied to it
What Jamie said above couldnt be more true...not to mention with the incorrect flex and light line...the fish of a lifetime which often happens through the ice could break you off...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

hopefully mark i will get to see some of those fish of a lifetime on the end of my line this year.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jamie

Quote:
hopefully mark i will get to see some of those fish of a lifetime on the end of my line this year.
I have no doubt that the "Deep Freeze Dean of Delaney" will have many chances...and convert on many of them...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I made one with an old broken rod a few years back when I wanted to start ice fishing. Worked fine and still use it. It definitely is stiffer than a normal ice rod, but it works if you want to try it. You can also find fairly inexpensive ice rods once the season starts (around $10).

If you search on the web, you can find several articles on this topic with instructions on making your own. The primary one I used no longer is out there, but there was an old forum topic about it which has the link noted below.

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...p?topic=4263.0
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in