Ice fishing for northern pike - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ice fishing for northern pike

I'm new to the area from Wisconsin where I fished A LOT. I probably won't have a lot of time to fish here, but I'd like to get out on my random days off during the week, Monday and Tuesdays every other week. I really got a hankering for catching pike through the ice. So where is a place to go nearest to the Fort Collins, Loveland area to get on the ice whether it be for pike or anything else. Any help would be appreciated. I have all my own gear and just want to get out and enjoy ice fishing again, SOON!
Thanks in advance!
pikemasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ice fishing for northern pike

masta - The opportunities for Ice Pike in this state are surely not as abundant as in Wisconsin, but you do have options. However, not too many good ones close to the Front Ragne (Dever area). Your closest, and one of the best options for quality fish is Williams Fork Reservoir, which is North of Silverthorne about an hour (Silverthorne is the town just on the other side of Eisenhower Tunnel if you are driving west from Denver). So some searching around on the net and you will find Williams Fork. Or 11-Mile and Spinney Reservoirs near Fairplay (west of colorado springs i think, but never come from that way). I'm sure you will fish for them basically the same way as you do in Wisconsin (quick strike rigs on tip-ups with dead suckers, shiners, anchovies, etc.), but you can't use live minnows west of the continental devide (basically west of the Eisenhower tunnel). All of the reservoirs mentioned above have trophy class fish in them. The previous state record pike came out of Williams Fork. Make it to one of these reservoirs; spend some time fishing for pike and I don't think you will be disappointed. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes once you get a chance to go.

Tight Lines!
Rip Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not only are minnows illegal west of the divide I think they are also illegal above 7000 ft. It might even be 6000 but check the regs book.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

And spinney mt. res. isn't open to ice fishing.
Medson25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingGodBilly
Not only are minnows illegal west of the divide I think they are also illegal above 7000 ft. It might even be 6000 but check the regs book.
Its 7000, which really bums me, I would like to take some nice fresh live suckers up to evergreen and try for a tiger...........but the elevation there is like 7034

Dan
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll have to make at least one trip for pike here, especially once I can finally get my resident fishing license. It is nice to know my set-up is going to work out here as well. When is ice up?
pikemasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mid December is usually a pretty good bet. Or you can go with slayer in october lol
Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemasterflex
Thanks for the information guys.* I think I'll have to make at least one trip for pike here, especially once I can finally get my resident fishing license.* It is nice to know my set-up is going to work out here as well.* When is ice up?
well, seeing you're from the midwest, no, your setup will fail tremendously here unless you ditch the wire in favor of florocarbon.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

i believe the only live bait to use at the high limit is waterdogs,wich work very well,the bait store at elevenmile sells them , if anybody knows diff let me know,thanks
ANCHOR-DOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in