Little Buddy Heater Tip (fix for heater problem) - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Little Buddy Heater Tip (fix for heater problem)

If you have problems with your heater going out after it is lit (pilot light flickers or seems to blow oddly) do this: (shut off heater and let it cool LOL ) Take a Q-Tip with some alcohol on it and insert it into the pilot tube to clean it out (suggest by manufactor and worked like a charm). My heater would stay lit for about 3 minutes and then it would go out. Used this method to clean it up and now it works like a charm. Wish I would have known this while sleeping in a snow bank while I was elk hunting
jakesbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Little Buddy Heater Tip (fix for heater problem)

I thought it had more to do with altitude, mine seems to give me problems the higher in alt. I fish! I will try your solution to see if it works!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to fishingkid119

I got one of those big red heatwer buddy thingy an dit works great or it dosent hahah Thanks for the tip ima have to try that with parent super vision lol
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesbigfish
If you have problems with your heater going out after it is lit (pilot light flickers or seems to blow oddly) do this:* (shut off heater and let it cool LOL ) Take a Q-Tip with some alcohol on it and insert it into the pilot tube to clean it out (suggest by manufactor and worked like a charm).* My heater would stay lit for about 3 minutes and then it would go out.* Used this* method to clean it up and now it works like a charm. Wish I would have known this while sleeping in a snow bank while I was elk hunting*
have you tried it again up at altitude, or at altitude in very cold weather? i suspect probably not.. mr heater is still having problems with the sensors shutting off the pilot flame when at higher altitude and cold weather, seems like they work worse the colder it is. the big buddies especially.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey Jamie, how old is your heater? I know that they had a huge problem a few years back with bad low O2 sensors that shut off way too often when trying to use them at altitude higher than Denver. My friend in Castle Rock uses a Big Buddy heater hooked up on the propane in her business trailer and she'd had to send the first one back in for the fact that it kept shutting off. She's at something over 6,000 feet where she's at, and there had been a recall on them at some point. The newer one seems to work just fine. I've seen them returned, both big and little, where I work, because they keep shutting off (I work at Bass Pro). Don't know if they were exchanged for the same thing or folks got something else.

I have a newer little Buddy, and it worked great in the ice hut, even up at Willow Creek last day we were up there in the spring before ice off - nice and warm in the hut. But forget trying to run that thing outside when it's windy - keeps blowin the pilot light out.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the pilot light jet though, jakes - I'm sure it can get pretty cruddy. I'll give it a spin.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal

But forget trying to run that thing outside when it's windy - keeps blowin the pilot light out.
Thats definitly a common problem... Heres some wind deflectors others have made, supposedly they work.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal
Hey Jamie, how old is your heater? I know that they had a huge problem a few years back with bad low O2 sensors that shut off way too often when trying to use them at altitude higher than Denver. My friend in Castle Rock uses a Big Buddy heater hooked up on the propane in her business trailer and she'd had to send the first one back in for the fact that it kept shutting off. She's at something over 6,000 feet where she's at, and there had been a recall on them at some point. The newer one seems to work just fine. I've seen them returned, both big and little, where I work, because they keep shutting off (I work at Bass Pro). Don't know if they were exchanged for the same thing or folks got something else.

I have a newer little Buddy, and it worked great in the ice hut, even up at Willow Creek last day we were up there in the spring before ice off - nice and warm in the hut. But forget trying to run that thing outside when it's windy - keeps blowin the pilot light out.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the pilot light jet though, jakes - I'm sure it can get pretty cruddy. I'll give it a spin.
my little buddy heater is about 5 years old and still works like a champ everywhere, i bought a big buddy the year before last and couldn't keep it lit when it got cold above 8000 feet (when it wasn't very cold it would fire up fine) so you know how well that worked out, then last year i tried another big buddy as i really liked having the fan setup, and had the same damn problem. my buddy has a newer little buddy and he has hit or miss luck with it(same problem, at altitude, and when it gets really cold) so i just bought some small (i think 5 or 8 pound )propane cylinders and a sunflower head and that thing just plain kicks ass no matter how high or how cold. you just have to keep some ventilation going, which we always do anyway. i think that is the problem with the buddy heaters was the shut off sensors. if you could somehow disable those they would be the **** i still use my little buddy when i am by myself in the fish trap pro as it puts of plenty of heat for that small of a shelter.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesbigfish View Post
If you have problems with your heater going out after it is lit (pilot light flickers or seems to blow oddly) do this: (shut off heater and let it cool LOL ) Take a Q-Tip with some alcohol on it and insert it into the pilot tube to clean it out (suggest by manufactor and worked like a charm). My heater would stay lit for about 3 minutes and then it would go out. Used this method to clean it up and now it works like a charm. Wish I would have known this while sleeping in a snow bank while I was elk hunting
thanks worked.... can't believe when I call Mr Heater.. they keep trying to say it was the sensor that I should open door or window.... thank you .. .cleaning worked...
efire1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess I'll have to give this a try as well.... My little buddy heater stopped working last year(at any altitude even at home in my basement)... I had pretty much given up on it but still have it so it's worth a shot!!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiehughes View Post
my little buddy heater is about 5 years old and still works like a champ everywhere, i bought a big buddy the year before last and couldn't keep it lit when it got cold above 8000 feet (when it wasn't very cold it would fire up fine) so you know how well that worked out, then last year i tried another big buddy as i really liked having the fan setup, and had the same damn problem. my buddy has a newer little buddy and he has hit or miss luck with it(same problem, at altitude, and when it gets really cold) so i just bought some small (i think 5 or 8 pound )propane cylinders and a sunflower head and that thing just plain kicks ass no matter how high or how cold. you just have to keep some ventilation going, which we always do anyway. i think that is the problem with the buddy heaters was the shut off sensors. if you could somehow disable those they would be the **** i still use my little buddy when i am by myself in the fish trap pro as it puts of plenty of heat for that small of a shelter.

Those sunflower heads are awesome! I have two of them that are on the square mounts that can go upright or on their sides for cooking on. That would be my recommendation.

Love my older Mr. Buddy, that thing hasn't let me down either.

Last edited by koldkut; 01-15-2018 at 07:32 PM.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in