broken strikemaster recoil spring - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default broken strikemaster recoil spring

I have a Strikemaster Mag 2000 that has a broken recoil assembly. We were out on the ice and it started right up but the rope would not pull back into it. Anybody fixe one of these, and if so how hard is i.
scout76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to checkers8
Default Re: broken strikemaster recoil spring

Had the same thing happen a few years back. I tried to repair it myself , but couldn;'t figure it out. So, I took mine to a small engine repair shop. I haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Area Rent All on north Federal is the local authorized service center for Strikemaster. They should be able to replace the spring at no cost if it is still under warranty. If not, any small engine repair shop can do it.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just go to strikemaster.com and you can order one. Just pull the gas tank off and then the top screws. Then just look how the old one was in there it should just drop right in. Get the rope in there(thats the hard part) replace screws and good to go. Sounds real easy typing it out, but give yourself 1-2 hrs to do this job right. Not too hard though.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help, any idea how uch a shop would charge to do the repair.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

i think that those things are pretty suspect, especially if you are used to a different kind of power auger, my jiffy has a much longer pull than the strikemasters, that is probably why in the video they give you with the strikemaster augers(when you buy a new one) they tell you to use short little pulls only to your chest to start it.. my first few times out i though i was gonna screw up the recoil deal as it kept getting stuck.. but now i got my jiffy running awesome again,and it cuts 3 times as fast as the strikemaster, so i'll keep it as a backup for now..
Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the thread and info. I too have had probs with my Strikemaster 2000. The rope broke off I reattached it and now its even shorter and does not recoil all the way back in. I think I'll take it into the shop.
Co.Trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the help, I called strikemaster and ordered the part for $12.50. Not to bad and it looks pretty easy to replace. I bought my strikemaster used and never knew you were only supposed to pull the rope out to your chest. I was pulling it all the way out, guess thats why i broke it. Glad I had my manual one along with me. Thanks again for the help, now if I could catch some fish instead of watching them I would be in good shape.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

i never would have known how far to pull mine either, it actually to start it is a pretty short pull.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Forgot to add we were out on Antero for a couple days over the weekend and when the strikemaster broke, a couple good guys let me use their's and saved me a trip back to the truck. Always nice to know there are people willing to lend a hand out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in