Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Eskimo Quick Flip II

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hobbes 
#1 ·
Looking at buying this model ice shelter. I believe the entire set up weighs in the neighborhood of 80 lbs. The weight sounds like a lot. How well does this pull by hand across the snow/ice? I would suspect downhill/ boat ramp is not a problem (unless it runs over you) but back up hill seems it could be difficult.

I do not have a sled or ATV at this point so all pulling would be by hand.

The bench set up (instead of two seats) in this shelter would work perfect for my three kids.

#2 ·
It can be a bit much depending on what else you bring with you. For instance a power auger will be 20-30lbs. and then everything else. What I did was put a longer tow rope on. The rope mine came with was so short that when pulling it, a lot of the work was being pulled upwards instead of the direction you were going. So I put a long rope on and put a rubber hose on the area of the rope you pull. This makes it so the rope doesn't dig into your hands and also makes it easy to put around your waist or shoulder without any discomfort. Also load your heaviest items in the "back" so the from of the hut doesn't sink down into the snow as much. This made it about 50% easier to pull.

#4 ·
I agree with everything Medson25 said. I have found that deep powder is the hardest thing to pull it though. I drug mine into Chambers after a lot of fresh snow. Believe me, I'll never do that again. Other than that it hasn't been too bad.

#7 ·
hobbes said:
thanks for the heads up, but I'm using my "wellness benefit" at work. It allows sporting goods equipment (minus guns and archery equipment). I'm required to have a receipt from a sporting goods store.
Nice perk! Does your employer have any openings? j/k ;D

I own a Yukon Clam and it's closer to 100#. It is a bear to pull in deep snow, but it is worth the extra effort if the weather turns nasty.

The longer rope suggestion is good advice. I employ the same system without the rubber hose.

#8 ·
I work for the Town of Avon. If you can drive a bus during the ski season, they are always looking for employees. ;D I don't think the wellness benefit will come near to making up for the unbelievable cost of housing here. This is my first year to be eligible, so it is only $250. However, it quickly goes up to $500 and I think it increases incrementaly from there also.

#9 ·
My wellness plan at my old company bought my ski pass for vail resorts two years in a row....man I miss that company's perks.

BTW, thanks for the input in this thread, I was looking at these huts and do not have (and will not have that I can forsee) a snow mobile. I'll be taking weight into consideration if and when I decide to grab a hut.

#10 ·
We can use ours towards the ski pass, but a Merchant Pass was near $850 this year. Considering I now live in Leadville and commute down the $600 out of my pocket to ski a couple weekends and a few long lunches was out of the question. Besides, I bought the entire family passes to Ski Cooper for $550. My wife worked for BC last year and we bought the entire family Vail/BC passes for $75. That was a fantastic deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.