List of when most lakes freeze over. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default List of when most lakes freeze over.

I didnt ice much till this last year, so dont really pay attention.

Know loveland and boyd is a little before new years.
GM?
Chambers?
The fork?

I cant wait! Stupid open water non biting fish
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: List of when most lakes freeze over.

really depends on the winter but ive ice my favorite pond up by kenosha pass around thanksgiving. same for the snake river inlet or george town . gm, granby, wf, are slow probally because of size and depth but 1st of jan late dec is usually about right. if your looking for early ice cocentrate on shallow bodies of water.. antero is good earl. as for open water non bites were have you been going? most mountain lakes are producing pretty good now.
littlemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tarryall is my fave 'early ice' lake - have had great success with about 6-8" of ice on the lake - the fishies get really hungry and will hit like crazy right after the ice closes up. Fortunately, Tarryall is fairly small, and is high enough, and cold enough, that it freezes up fast. And because it's a little out of the way (and not insane, like Jefferson!), not everybody goes up there to fish. Have had some great trips up there for early ice.

Not necessarily enormous fish, but darn, a fish is a fish, and when you figure it out, it's a blast.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper

Most of the lakes on the Mesa are frozen by around Thanksgiving. Other than that, most lakes around here are good to go by mid December. Blue Mesa and Ruedi don't lock up in the good laker areas till Mid January though. But you can fish those two lakes into April most years, while the mid elevation lakes crap out in mid march.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingal
Tarryall is my fave 'early ice' lake - have had great success with about 6-8" of ice on the lake - the fishies get really hungry and will hit like crazy right after the ice closes up. Fortunately, Tarryall is fairly small, and is high enough, and cold enough, that it freezes up fast. And because it's a little out of the way (and not insane, like Jefferson!), not everybody goes up there to fish. Have had some great trips up there for early ice.

Not necessarily enormous fish, but darn, a fish is a fish, and when you figure it out, it's a blast.
X2

I'll also poke a couple holes at Georgetown for the inaugural trip to make sure all systems go before the season really gets under way. Just to make sure everything is working.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglin'archer

I'll also poke a couple holes at Georgetown for the inaugural trip to make sure all systems go before the season really gets under way. Just to make sure everything is working.
ha,ha i've poked a few holes at georgetown..... oh wait is this in the ice fishing section oops wrong holes....sorry..
Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Check with Slayer he's usually packing in to some alpine lake around Halloween
fly chucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I usually go to Snake River Inlet first - but are they totally draining Dillon this year?
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
I usually go to Snake River Inlet first - but are they totally draining Dillon this year?
those fish there are sooo damn small though...
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiehughes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
those fish there are sooo damn small though...
I thought they are draining "old dillon", isn't that a different lake or am I just confused?

Small fish, but holy cow man you can't put a jig down and jig it more than 3 times without pulling a fish in, that'll probably be my first ice this year too, we had a blast last year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in