Cookin Hot Dogs or Bratwurst on the ice? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cookin Hot Dogs or Bratwurst on the ice?

Every year I hear about people cooking dogs or bratwurst out on the ice in the hut.

I know, call me a dork, but how are you cooking yours? Weenie roast in front of the Mr. Heater, boiling on a camp stove, something else?

Hubby used to go ice fishing and just not eat, and then got a water filter and used to just drink water. I am diabetic, so that is not really an option for me - I have to take food. We have a Jetboil, and take Mountain House freeze dried food and stuff like dried fruit and beef jerky and stuff, but I'd love to say we actually cooked some yummy Continental Deli hot dogs or brats out there for once. (Hubby loves Johnsonville but they still season their meat with MSG, which gives him blinding migraines, and Continental is close to us and their stuff is *awesome* - good enough that Coney Island in Bailey serves their stuff too!)

Darn, now I'm craving bratwurst... hmmm....

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Cookin Hot Dogs or Bratwurst on the ice?

Just a small grill you can usually pick up for 10-15$

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I prefer elk n deer steaks, sizzle em up in a skillet
Fish head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Boiling up some dogs or on my backpacking burner and pot. My kiddo lives for that. He's ready for that at 8am in the morning.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd try to cook em outside, but inside is fine - so long as you leave a door open enough to allow fresh air in and push that bad air out. Just like a heater, that carbon dioxide can build up, fast too.

Rob
Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePiC

Just a small grill you can usually pick up for 10-15$
Those little turds work good! Propane, cooks steaks great, jsut watch the flare ups. THink I got mine at Big lots for less than $15.
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

That grill looks like it would take up too much space on the sled,besides I've used that type of grill before(cheap)and it seems like the fuel regulator is weak,ecspecially in cold weather.If you already have "Mr. Heater" just lay it on it side with heat facing up(which it's meant to do) and put the skillet on top.You can make steaks,burgers.omlets,hamburger helper or whatever you like.When you use the Mr. Heater the flame is right up against the skillet so it cooks fairly quick.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfisher
That grill looks like it would take up too much space on the sled,besides I've used that type of grill before(cheap)and it seems lilike the fuel regulator is weak,ecspecially in cold weather.If you already have "Mr. Heater" just lay it on it side with heat facing up(which it's meant to do) and pu skillet on top.You can make steaks,burgers.omlets,hamburger helper or whatever you like.When you use the Mr. Heater the flame is right up against the skillet so it cooks fairly quick.
Thats how i've always done mine. Take the "Mr. Heater/cooker" tilt it up and put a pan of beer and brats in the pan. A few minutes later a nice hot meal to go with the rest of the beer. YUM!
Medson25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutanova
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfisher
That grill looks like it would take up too much space on the sled,besides I've used that type of grill before(cheap)and it seems lilike the fuel regulator is weak,ecspecially in cold weather.If you already have "Mr. Heater" just lay it on it side with heat facing up(which it's meant to do) and pu skillet on top.You can make steaks,burgers.omlets,hamburger helper or whatever you like.When you use the Mr. Heater the flame is right up against the skillet so it cooks fairly quick.
Thats how i've always done mine. Take the "Mr. Heater/cooker" tilt it up and put a pan of beer and brats in the pan. A few minutes later a nice hot meal to go with the rest of the beer. YUM!
Exactly man, can't forget the beer.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Mayor

Why cook?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in