Evergreen Lake! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Evergreen Lake!

Drove by yesterday afternoon. Stopped by to look at the ice and take a few pictures. Signs were up that say thin Ice keep off. I wasnt sure if this lake was ice fishable because i knew that people ice skate on there in the winter.

After getting home and searching reports it appears that evergreen lake is ice fishable, but seems like almost everyone hates the place lol. (BTW, How do ice fishing holes and ice skaters mix, lol)

I am not sure how deep the ice is... I walked out about 5-10' from shore and cleared the snow off the ice as i went. I kicked and stomped on the ice and it did not give way. I could have kept going out further but was not sure of the legality.

So I am going to post the pics. that i took but I am wondering about the legality of going on the ice with those sign up? Also kinda wondering the best way to check ice?(Prob need to bring an auger to test thickness?)

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Evergreen Lake!

Evergreen really that bad of a place to fish?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can ice fish it. The ice skaters and hockey players stick to the area that is maintained near that lodge. Most of the ice fisherman I've seen out there are closer to the dam area. I've fished it open water twice and didn't have any luck (not serious attempts though). There are stocker rainbows in there and a few tiger muskies. The one time I went on the ice (before I started ice fishing) I saw a guy catch a bow and he had a couple others on the ice, so I guess it can be semi-productive sometimes.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I fished on Evergreen last friday (oops forgot to post ) About 4" of ice. Another guy was across from the highway in a hut. I fished for an hour and 15 minutes and caught 9 stockers. I saw the sign that said "keep off thin ice" and figured if anyone said anything I'd tell them I wasn't on the "thin" ice only this good stuff! Anyway I didn't have time to drive to Antero so I got a fix just up the road from the house. Not bad for a 2 hour time investment. Looking to hit Antero tomorrow. Looney
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Evergreen in my experience is best early ice. I have caught rainbows there in december but after that it slows down quite a bit. I usually fish just off of hiway 74. I park across the road. It can be something of dash to avoid the traffic when loaded down with equipment but generally worth it the first month or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in